Does anyone else think this is a 1991?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebird

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-Greco-Flame-Top-LP-MODEL-EG59-85-SUPER-REAL-NECK-/150438078577?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2306cee871

I think the logo is the definitive dating detail on this one.

There were also some transitional Greco models from 1981/1982 that have a mixture of "Super Real Series" and "Mint Collection Series" features such as a "Super Real" model with an open O letter in the Greco logo instead of a closed O letter. The Super Real EGF (flametop) and EG series higher end models featured nitrocellulose lacquer finishes and fret edge binding and some of the Super Real lower end models also featured fret edge binding

Hard to say,pickups can be changed

From the questions & answers

Q: Hello, Is it not possible for you to ship to London,UK.I will pay for the cost of shipping,Please help out,I desperately need this guitar..almost suicidal if you cant help!!..lol

A: NO.

1991 IMO

Why?

Binding width = too wide for 1981

Cutaway, horn, and smaller upper bout = wrong for 1981

Head stock logo font, material, & angle = wrong for 1981

Neck carve, where the head stock & neck meet = wrong for 1981

(some) of what is not shown = tenon, and electronics route

never seen 'stickers' on the base of Greco pups post 1988

photo of the base of the Double Trick pup is taken out of the guitar = note excessive lead length

everything SCREAMS 1991 but if someone wants to believe it's a 1981, then hey .....................

I dunno definately a 1991 looking headstock logo!But as far as i am aware greco never had a eg model les paul with double trick pickups in 1990 or 1991,The lower models had screamers,I reckon those pups are from a different guitar... :wink:

I e-mailed this seller 4 days ago about another GRECO he had up for auction,A mint collection lester with a beautiful lemon amber top..all i asked was if he know how many pieces the back was made up of and if he knew what pickups were in it?
He reply was not so friendy,just said usa auction only! No info or anything ,Think he must hate europeans :evil:

HERES THE LINK:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150438046782&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

i wonder what model it really was ! Or why he never mentioned the pickups in the auction listing ,Did they migrate to another guitar!!! :wink:

MOJO HOBO

JohnA said:
From the questions & answers

Q: Hello, Is it not possible for you to ship to London,UK.I will pay for the cost of shipping,Please help out,I desperately need this guitar..almost suicidal if you cant help!!..lol

A: NO.
:lol:

mojo hobo said:
I dunno definately a 1991 looking headstock logo!But as far as i am aware greco never had a eg model les paul with double trick pickups in 1990 or 1991,The lower models had screamers,I reckon those pups are from a different guitar... :wink:

I e-mailed this seller 4 days ago about another GRECO he had up for auction,A mint collection lester with a beautiful lemon amber top..all i asked was if he know how many pieces the back was made up of and if he knew what pickups were in it?
He reply was not so friendy,just said usa auction only! No info or anything ,Think he must hate europeans :evil:

HERES THE LINK:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150438046782&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

i wonder what model it really was ! Or why he never mentioned the pickups in the auction listing ,Did they migrate to another guitar!!! :wink:

MOJO HOBO

As far as the "1982" Lemondrop, I really did like the color and the solid top. However, I was a bit dumbfounded by the several large chucks of "laquer" missing in various spots of the guitar. I've heard of poly chipping of in larger pieces but was not aware of "laquer" (is he referring to nitro?) coming off that way ordinarily.

Well there are some unanswered questions regarding my 1981 or 91 I posted then as well.

MIJ...what about my: Binding width, Cutaway, horn, and smaller upper bout, Neck carve, where the head stock & neck meet? I know my binding is much narrower than that auction Greco, my cutaway, horn, and upper bout are different as well. So does that prove that the headstock font alone is not enough to prove mine is in fact a 91 but rather an 81?

That is why I think the font alone proves nothing...too many inconsistencies in these guitars to have solid proof based upon one thing. Perhaps they made that font back in 1981 to use on the Mints but then changed their mind and went with a different logo. So a few guitars went out with that logo and they later used the left overs on the post 91 models? We really have no clue unless one of us worked at the Fuji-Gen plant from 1980 till 1994 or so. Otherwise it is all theory, interesting but speculation nonetheless IMO.

Udonitron said:
Well there are some unanswered questions regarding my 1981 or 91 I posted then as well.

MIJ...what about my: Binding width, Cutaway, horn, and smaller upper bout, Neck carve, where the head stock & neck meet? I know my binding is much narrower than that auction Greco, my cutaway, horn, and upper bout are different as well. So does that prove that the headstock font alone is not enough to prove mine is in fact a 91 but rather an 81?

That is why I think the font alone proves nothing...too many inconsistencies in these guitars to have solid proof based upon one thing. Perhaps they made that font back in 1981 to use on the Mints but then changed their mind and went with a different logo. So a few guitars went out with that logo and they later used the left overs on the post 91 models? We really have no clue unless one of us worked at the Fuji-Gen plant from 1980 till 1994 or so. Otherwise it is all theory, interesting but speculation nonetheless IMO.

yes, all of my observations are 'theories'

I offered my opinion, and that's all it is; take it with a grain of salt, or a Qualude..........

I didn't work @ Fuji Gen; Hell, I've never been to Japan :p

my theories are based on my experience with several Greco examples that have a range from the late 1970s to the early 1990s.

it's all about learning here I suppose so, again, take what I say as entertainment & nt the Gospel Truth

I really don't know anything; I'm just a poser ................

MIJvintage said:
1991 IMO

Why?

Binding width = too wide for 1981

Cutaway, horn, and smaller upper bout = wrong for 1981

Head stock logo font, material, & angle = wrong for 1981

Neck carve, where the head stock & neck meet = wrong for 1981

(some) of what is not shown = tenon, and electronics route

never seen 'stickers' on the base of Greco pups post 1988

photo of the base of the Double Trick pup is taken out of the guitar = note excessive lead length

everything SCREAMS 1991 but if someone wants to believe it's a 1981, then hey .....................
Ditto, Rich, Your theories are based on experience.

MIJvintage said:
Udonitron said:

yes, all of my observations are 'theories'

I offered my opinion, and that's all it is; take it with a grain of salt, or a Qualude..........

I didn't work @ Fuji Gen; Hell, I've never been to Japan :p

my theories are based on my experience with several Greco examples that have a range from the late 1970s to the early 1990s.

it's all about learning here I suppose so, again, take what I say as entertainment & nt the Gospel Truth

I really don't know anything; I'm just a poser ................

Dennis Quaalude taken. BTW, I was not getting pi55ed at you, just asking is all man. I was also told by NWOBHM that the 91's did not have nibs, mine did but had a re-fret, so another wrench into the varying theories. I sold my 81/91 today on eBay so I suppose it matters little now. Thanks for the reply all the same

Here's a monkey wrench. How can you be sure it had nibs, if it doesn't have them now? Just sayin :D

Its been relisted for $650 but now with Greco scream 82 pickups.

So what do you guys think, is this a good price for it with these pickups?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150439782959#ht_500wt_1182

NWOBHM said:
Here's a monkey wrench. How can you be sure it had nibs, if it doesn't have them now? Just sayin :D

Oh I will see your wrench and raise you a Snap On truck full of wrenches lol...via this photo below: Took this photos for proof, check out that second fret and choose the 4000 DPI image ;) Almost all the frets are like that and if it were nib-less from the factory, there would be no trace or sign of those little ridges as the binding is a pre-made smooth strip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobenis/4548520829/sizes/l/

4548520829_92866500eb_b.jpg

WTF :eek: ............. first it was listed with "original" Double Trick pickups, even tho' it was pictured with Gibson classic 57s pickups :-?

so, now it is re-listed with, "scream 82 PICKUPS" :lol: :roll:

run, far away ...........................

MIJvintage said:
WTF :eek: ............. first it was listed with "original" Double Trick pickups, even tho' it was pictured with Gibson classic 57s pickups :-?

so, now it is re-listed with, "scream 82 PICKUPS" :lol: :roll:

run, far away ...........................

I'm new to Greco's but seems like $650 would be an ok price. Am I totally wrong?

sorry, I no longer comment on (specific) price here on the TF, only price in general, unless it's MSRP, which in this case that doesn't apply

I'm sure another member can help you out, I can't ............................

Latest posts

Back