LATE 1970s GRECO QUESTIONS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrechord

Reaction score
Hope board members can provide some insight on these questions:

1. I have a late 1979 Greco EG "Ace Frehley" model, sunburst finish, solid (not chambered -- it's a very heavy boat anchor), U-2000 pickups, BUT it has a three-piece top, not a two-piece top. Is it an EG-600PR or an EG-800PR, or some sort of hybrid? It looks like the U-2000 pickups were specific to the EG-800 model, and I have also read that the EG-600 was a chambered model with a cavity between the pickup routs, but I don't know about the three-piece top.

2. One of the Greco tuners on the guitar has a loose barrel next to the Grover-style tuning key (it's the barrel with the two holes in it that protrudes beyond the headstock and links the key to the tuner housing -- when you turn the tuner, the barrel moves with the key and starts to unscrew). Is there an effective way to tighten the barrel so that it stays in place and does not move while tuning?

3. What is the general reputation of the early, three pickup EG-600 guitars with body cavities, like the late 1970s Frampton models? Any experiences-views pro or con? Are these well-made guitars or ones to be passed up in favor of later models? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the web.

There will be far more informed answers coming I am sure, but I can answer a little about the chambered models such as the Frampton, because I actually have one.

From a Player's point of view, I actually rather like what the chambering does. Apart from the obvious weight issue, which I have no thoughts upon, having both Solid Bodied Guitars and then the EG600, the "treat" lies in wait for an Old School Player such as myself, whom uses a Single Channel, Non Master Volume Amp and drives the guitar sound from the Guitar's Volume and Tone Controls. Thanks to the chambering, one can coax glorious Harmonic Feedback at a far more User Friendly Volume
Mine had been somewhat "played" with by a previous owner and the Middle Pickup was disconnected. However, after a little gentle rewiring everything is back working as was originally intended. The Centre Position on the Selector Switch is now an absolute Gem. This gives me Middle and Bridge Pickups together, but with a hint of Out of Phase. Again, back off the Guitar's Volume and I can get an almost Strat like quack when playing clean, which then again translates into a very usable sound once the break up comes in.

My gripe.... such as it is, would be that Greco didn't go with an Ebony Fingerboard on this 1978 version. Thankfully the board is darkening up nicely now with plenty of oiling and a great deal of playing sweat. :lol:

From what I can make out, this model has considerably fewer fans than the higher numbered models? That said, it is a thoroughly enjoyable guitar to play and more than capable of giving many a player a surprise when they first strap it on.

Well worth trying before making any final decisions. :D

Thanks -- any other thoughts on the quality of the late 1970s (1977-1979) three-pickup, chambered EG-600 models would be much appreciated.

With regard to the identification of my 1979 Ace Frehley three-pickup model described above, the guitar is not chambered but has a medium tenon-doweled neck joint; don't know if that would be consistent with the EG-800 model or not.

Latest posts

Back