Advice and Observations Welcomed.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in something of a quandary. I have a 1978 Greco EG600 (Frampton).
I purchased this guitar from a mate last year, it required some work to the Frets, but was otherwise in good condition, given its age. There was some debate about its model number, purely because neither of us had seen one with Cream Bobbins, it appears that it is more "usual" to see Black Bobbins?
Anyway, Having become slightly more familiar with Grecos since owning this one, I have decided to attempt the plunge and to seek out a Greco Jeff Beck Oxblood. From what I have seen in pictures and read.... albeit in rather odd translations ..... it would appear that "Dark Green" is used as a description rather than Oxblood. This really doesn't cause me any problems, from the photos I have seen, it is close enough and as it isn't really the colour, but more the configuration that interests me.

So, I would appreciate any input from anyone whom either has, or used to own, a MIJ Jeff Beck. I have owned several guitars that have Wrapover Bridges, so the intonation issues hold no horrors for me. I have always found the Wrapover Bridge to translate to a very vibrant guitar, certainly was the case with several LP and SG Juniors I have been fortunate enough to have owned, but THE one was a 54RI Goldtop, for resonance that guitar had it all. I am talking about how lively the guitar's response is when played acoustically.

The Frampton would have to fund the cost of the Jeff Beck, so realistically, for an example such as this one, which incidently, I would give a 6/10 cosmetically and a 8/10 Mechanically, what do you feel would be a sensible price? I willingly acknowledge that the Frampton is NOT everyone's cup of tea, but then neither is the JB...... I always seem to be drawn to the more "Oddball" Guitars it seems? :lol:

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on, but I would really value your opinions should you have the time to spare.

Many Thanks

Rob

Back