It arrived in 2 days! Sweet!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundcreation

Reaction score
So after Rinkya finally got it...here is my new super real EG 1000 custom.

DSC05537.jpg

DSC05547.jpg

I have to say though I was a bit disappointed when I popped the hood and found these, and not Dry Z's No idea what they could be.

DSC05538.jpg

And 18K pots???? what's up with that?

DSC05550.jpg

Thing is though the guitar sounds REALLY nice.....the pickups are really crisp and clear. I'm not sure what to think. My ears say yes but my specs are telling me no. I should probably trust my ears...

It's a heavy mother...plays like a dream though. The neck really is amazing and the ebony board is sublime. I'm actually a bit surprised how much I do like the playability of it.

It's an 81. Like December of 81. I don't think the pickups are original...It's suppose to have Dry Z's but there is no stamp so I seriously doubt they are. And no sticker for Dry 82's either. So who knows.

hi
i dont think the pots are 18k ...... try testing them .... i think they will be 250 k or 500 k
all the best
otto

I know when I buy a car I always pop the hood to look at the engine.......in this case a Super Real Custom that you were hoping to have DRY-Z pups should of been shown by the seller..or....forget it....could easily been a changed truss rod cover or simply not a EG-1000 but a lower model??????? :-?

NICE guitar!!!!!
wow, really nice, i love that burst color!

2 piece top is usual for EG1000C also is up to 3 piece back if it has, also this is the 6th Greco 1000 Custom from late 1981 I have seen with no markings on the back of the pickups,

Anyway, to be fully certain
1. do a nitro test, but looks nitro to me anyway,
2. do a sound test, and compare, i am sure you will hear it's superiority.

regards.

greco_burst said:
NICE guitar!!!!!
wow, really nice, i love that burst color!

2 piece top is usual for EG1000C also is up to 3 piece back if it has, also this is the 6th Greco 1000 Custom from late 1981 I have seen with no markings on the back of the pickups,

Anyway, to be fully certain
1. do a nitro test, but looks nitro to me anyway,
2. do a sound test, and compare, i am sure you will hear it's superiority.

regards.

So sometimes "DRY-Z" don't have the Z stamp and that's just normal.
I didn't think so before but I know now. Thanks. Like nothing and nobody
is perfect in this world so was Greco.....

Hey guys, thanks for the helpful replies.

I also read that thread a while back with someone in the same situation. EG custom with pickups with no markings. I suppose there is a chance they could be the real deal but I guess it's hard to know for sure. They do sound pretty amazing but then my experience is limited.

Anybody with EG1000's mind posting some pictures of the control cavity or mentioning what kind of pots you find?

And maybe it would be nice if people could post some good pics of the backs of their Dry Z's so we could compare? Especially others with ones like mine...where we don't really know what they are.

As for the solder points Sushi...I think so but I'm no expert. What do you think from the pic I posted?

I was thinking about it being a dressed up cheaper model. I suppose it could be. I know stickers can be faked but that one seems like it's been on there along time. I'm trying to look for body pieces too. It's tough though. I honestly think it's one piece body but sometimes I think I see a seam running down the middle. The paint job makes it harder to see.

Did the lower customs have the volute as well?

In the end it does sound really good and I paid 70 000 yen for it so really not too bad. If it's the real thing then I got a fantastic deal. If it's an 800 then that's probably fair value. And if it's lower than I over paid a little, but not crazy so whatever.

Hopefully a little more forensic work will help.

All DryZ's are stamped, this guitar being an early Mint Collection Greco would have a 2 piece back, no more. There are also at least 2 types of dryZ pickups. The wiring on this guitar is all original. It could also be a EGC68-80, the colour and the specs are exactly the same as that guitar, if thats the case it should have "double Trick" pickups. As far as i know NO Mint Collection guitars had Dry Z pickups, Dry 1982 and Groove pickups were used on high end Mint Co guitars.

Mick

I don't know about that. The Serial is 81 so that puts it as super real not mint collection. I realize there were transitions but it's got fret binding as well as the 1000 sticker. This color matches the catalogue for 1000, 800 and 500 so it could be any. But 2 piece top suggests higher end. And I'm still not sure about body. Looks 1 piece to me.

If anything I would think it would be lower end super real rather than mint.

I don't know about that. The Serial is 81 so that puts it as super real not mint collection.

Not so, it is a "transitional" guitar with some features of both.It is a mint collection guitar it has the mint co logo on the headstock, i have seen lower models in that period with leftover necks from the Super real era with fret binding, and it is well known that these were used on early mint collection guitars.
The "flower pot" inlay is a feature of the mint collection guitars, and the specs i quoted are straight out of the Greco catalogues i have. These early mint co guitars have features of both Super real and Mint collection except for the dry Z pickups, which ended with the Super Real series, although Dry Z B's were used in later models, but none of the LP's.

Mick

OK but in the 81 catalogue the guitar is the exact same as mine. Flower pot headstock, binding and a truss rod cover that says super real. So greco were calling those super real's regardless of what "transitional" features they may have had.

Really though I'm not interested in a debate about super real vs mint but could the pickups be Dry Z's with out a stamp. As some have mentioned they've seen many unlabled pickups like this in 1000 customs so it appears to be common.

I have my doubts but they do match the "look" of dry Z's from pictures of the backs of them. So I'd like too know if that's what the other greco pick ups look like. If not then that strengthens the case...If so then they could be a number of things.

soundcreation said:
OK but in the 81 catalogue the guitar is the exact same as mine. Flower pot headstock, binding and a truss rod cover that says super real. So greco were calling those super real's regardless of what "transitional" features they may have had.

Really though I'm not interested in a debate about super real vs mint but could the pickups be Dry Z's with out a stamp. As some have mentioned they've seen many unlabled pickups like this in 1000 customs so it appears to be common.

I have my doubts but they do match the "look" of dry Z's from pictures of the backs of them. So I'd like too know if that's what the other greco pick ups look like. If not then that strengthens the case...If so then they could be a number of things.

Really nice 1981 Super Real you have soundcreation, how is the sound? thanks 8)

It's fantastic. Really. The neck pickup is warm and round and bluesy but very concise and sharp...if that makes any sense. Not sharp tone but the notes come off very cleanly.

The bridge is much more bright. Good twang to it and again very amazing note definition.

And when driven these aspects come through distorted as well. It just seems really tight.

Glad to hear you got it alright. As far as the pickups go, I guess anything is possible. I can't say much about other Greco pickups, but yours do bear a strong resemblance to the stamped Dry Z's in my '80 EGC1000. At the end of the day, if you like the way they sound it doesn't really matter what they are - I'd say you got a good deal regardless. Enjoy it! :D

DryZ3.jpg

Also, there is another '81 EGC1000 on Yahoo right now - the seller claims the pickups are Dry (possibly Dry 1982, not necessarily Dry Z) but the pics show neither a serial number, a sticker, or a Z stamp.

http://translate.google.co.in/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpage4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2Fjp%2Fauction%2Fd97316039&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en

So now it's just very obvious that some DRY Z's don't have "Z" stamp on them for some unknown reasons. It's the truth I guess.

I would say that they were ALL stamped originally just some people clean there guitars and parts more than others and just simply rub the "Z" or serial number off.

Mick

SUSHI GUY said:
So now it's just very obvious that some DRY Z's don't have "Z" stamp on them for some unknown reasons. It's the truth I guess.

I wouldn't go that far.

My guess is the pickups in both of these '81s are probably very early, unmarked Dry '82 pickups, if anything. Given both of these guitars were manufactured in December '81, it's feasible to think this was simply before they began labeling the Dry '82s as such.

Check this pic out - given that Dry '82 pickups were not stamped with a serial number, it's much easier to believe the mystery pickups are Dry '82 and not Dry Z (they would have to have forgone both the Z stamp and the serial number).

Dry82R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back