Greco Junior 1988 value?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsuspend

Reaction score
I've been offered a cherry 1988 Mint Collection Greco Junior DC but the price is still up in the air. I've been looking around for a price comparison but they seem quite rare... could anyone hazard a guess?
No pics yet but it's supposed to be in very good condition. No major dings or nicks, all original.

Any input appreciated!
/Magnus

mrsuspend said:
I've been offered a cherry 1988 Mint Collection Greco Junior DC but the price is still up in the air. I've been looking around for a price comparison but they seem quite rare... could anyone hazard a guess?
No pics yet but it's supposed to be in very good condition. No major dings or nicks, all original.

Any input appreciated!
/Magnus

What color is it?

Well, I had to move quickly so I traded my Goldstar TST-50 for the Greco and 1000:- (80?).
We're both buying the pig in the sack as the Swedish saying goes... fingers crossed....
/Magnus :)

I think the deal sounds pretty fair, I would expect a nice Greco Mint Collection Junior to go for about ?500 in the UK, so that sounds about right.

Hope your 'pig' turns out to be a nice one!

Some pics:
grecobody.jpg

greconeck.jpg

grecohead.jpg

grecoserial2.jpg

Looks nice.....

Considering the down market, price negotiations could be in your favor. How motivated is the seller? How is his knowledge of vintage Japanese brands and models? What would you pay for it? Under normal conditions, I could see that guitar going for as much as $850 - $900.

Well, I had to make a move so I traded my very nice CAR Goldstar for the Greco and about $120 which would make the total price around $700 (a good Goldstar is about $830 in the Swedish marketplace).
Actually I've wanted a Junior for 25 years, it really is about time... :)

/Magnus

mrsuspend said:
Well, I had to make a move so I traded my very nice CAR Goldstar for the Greco and about $120 which would make the total price around $700 (a good Goldstar is about $830 in the Swedish marketplace).
Actually I've wanted a Junior for 25 years, it really is about time... :)

/Magnus

Nicely done old chap and nice catch.

Rob S said:
Please Do Review this Marcus as I am currently searching for one myself. 8)

Well if Mangus will send it to me, I'll be happy to review it.

Here's a 6lb Edwards Junior......these are great guitars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/edwards-esp-LP-junior-jr-guitar-japan-1-p90-lock-tuners_W0QQitemZ220354678762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item220354678762&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Well, the Junior has arrived since a few days and overall I must say I'm very pleased.
It's a pretty exact copy of a 59 cherry Junior with the wide neck. Compensated bridge which might be a later addition- not that I'm complaining! :lol:
Resonant, nicely matched two piece body, excellent overall feel. The neck is straight and the frets in fine shape- it plays easily with a medium low action and no buzz. The tuners are a little flimsy (as were the originals!) but stay in tune fine.
The coat might be a little thickly applied for my liking but on the plus side it's very shiny!
The Greco pickup has plenty of bite but knowing me I'll probably try a Gibson P90 in it at some point.
The serial indicates 1988- does this mean it's Tokai built?

/Magnus

Superb review and exactly what I had been hoping to hear. I was "expecting" that I would use the spare set of Nickel Grovers I have here and also the genuine Gibson P90 I have left over from another project, so all in all I think I have most of what is required.

How are the Volume and Tone Pots? I only ask as I have found these to be a weak area before now and I do use them pretty much continuously..... especially on a Junior.

Back