screaming pickup with and 8 first .......

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muccaz

Reaction score
hi
i saw this one on ebay .... a greco EGC a 3 pickup model .... with a super real truss rod cover from 82 with a screaming pickup and a 8 first .... :D :D :D :D so and 8 in the pickup number must be screaming pickup ...... :D :D :D :D
see this link
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/december2008/grecolpc3publack3862
all the best
otto

These 1982 8xxxxx serial Screamin pickups might be from Maxon. I think Fujigen took over making the Greco pickups in late 1981/early 1982 so some of the early 1982 Dry 82, Screamin etc pickups might be from Maxon especially if they have a serial number.

hi
do you think that maxon made better pickups ..... or is the fujigen the better pickup ...
all the best
otto

I know from Jim Donahue who worked for Hoshino/Ibanez that Hoshino would give the pickup specs to whatever pickup maker they used at the time.
I don't know if a Maxon Screamin pickup is exactly the same as a Fujigen made Screamin pickup but their specs would be similar.
I am a big fan of all the Maxon pickups like the Super 70s and the Greco U-1000, U-2000 etc. Maxon used to make great PAF like pickups.

hi
i got greco with u 1000 - u 2000 and dry 1982 and some with a 5 first ...
i realy like the u 1000 a lot ..... :D :D
but if a pickup does not have a sticker on the back .... then it is made at maxon ???? only the ones with sticker are from fujigen ,,,,
:D :D :D :D have i got i right
all the best
otto

I'd say the pickups with stamped serial numbers are made by Maxon even if they also have a sticker like a Dry 82 or Screamin sticker. There are a few of these stamped serial number and sticker pickups mainly from around 1982 which seems to be at the same time as the Maxon to Fujigen pickup making transition. In other words the pickups with a stamped serial number and a sticker could be called transitional pickups and are probably made by Maxon. The Fujigen made pickups don't seem to have a stamped serial number and only seem to have a sticker but there might be exceptions. The pickups with only a stamped serial number before 1982 are made by Maxon as were all the early Ibanez pickups as well.

Fujigen probably had a fair few Maxon made pickups stored away in 1982 and they probably just put their pickup sticker on them.

When things change at any factory there are left over parts from the previous things and so on, so some things are produced after the change with things from before the change.

The same thing happens for saxophones for instance where some new models are made with parts from the old model. This happened a lot. Like a very early Selmer Mark VII model sax might have a previous model Selmer Mark VI body and parts but be stamped as a Mark VII model.

Same thing happens when the Grecos change from the Super Reals to the Mint Collection.

CIMG4684.jpg

The pickup above has a 820407 serial number and a Screamin 1982 sticker

Maxon date code = 7th April 1982 so it makes sense

P1160349-1.jpg

Another 1982 Greco pickup

25th Feb 1982

CIMG3005.jpg

I don't know about these Greco pickups

First number = Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) pickup code (1, 2, etc)
Second number = Year (9=1979)
Third and Fourth number = Month (01=Jan ... 12=Dec)
Fifth and sixth number = Day of Month (01-31)

hi
and thak you again for your fine reply.... :D :D :D :D
do you know the difference from a u 1000 to a u 2000
all the best
otto :D :D :D

From what I've picked up it could be just the pickup magnet. The U-1000 might have a A8 magnet like the Super 70s and the U-2000 might have a A5 magnet. My Greco pickups sound to me like they are basically Super 70s with Alnico 8 A8 magnets and I think my pickups are U-1000. I've heard reports of U-2000 pickups in a Greco Destroyer that they do not sound quite like Super 70s so maybe they have an Alnico 5 A5 magnet.

hi
i will try to compare my u 1000 in my super real from 79 ... and my eg 700 from 77 ....
is an A5 a stronger magnet than a A8 .... and if so is the output higher on the u 1000 :D :D :D
all the best
otto

japanstrat said:
CIMG3005.jpg

I don't know about these Greco pickups

First number = Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) pickup code (1, 2, etc)
Second number = Year (9=1979)
Third and Fourth number = Month (01=Jan ... 12=Dec)
Fifth and sixth number = Day of Month (01-31)

My bet is that the first two digits are the year.
And as far I know, no month has 32 days :D

Do you know what year the guitar is from?

Alnico 8 is brighter than Alnico 5.
Alnico 5 is pretty standard and Alnico 8 is in between Alnico 5 and a ceramic magnet.
You can take the magnet out of a pickup and swap magnets.
One way to test if the magnet is ceramic or alnico is to

"Take an ohm meter and touch the probes to the magnet.
AlNiCo is a metal, and you will see a very low resistance reading
Ceramic is not a metal, and the resistance reading will be very, very high....if you get any reading whatsoever."

This is from a Ibanez Maxon Super 70 Hang Tag

" SUPER 70 MAGNET - Cast Alnico 8 magnet structure - four times more costly, but twice as clean as cheap magnets."

78_182.jpg

The 511032 pickup is from 1982

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1214

hi
and thank you so much ....... perfect .... :D :D :D
i will try to find out witch kind off magnets i have in my guitars
all the best
otto
:D :D :D :D :D

i have a screamin 82 pups on my eg59-50.it does not have the stamped serial numbers,only the stickers. but I found a little N.O. on the pick up covers.does the N.O. on the covers means nishin onpa?

Do you know if there is an easy way to check the type of alnico magnet, A5 or A8?
I have a regular 1977 set of super 70 standard stamped pickups, with the black open cover, no problem.
But I also have a set comprising one 1974 not stamped pickup and one handgraved "super 70" 1975 pickup, which look exactly like the first set: same wires, same white bobin, same backplate, but uncoverd. The 1975 even has some black trace of a black open cover on the top of the bobin.
And, like the regular ones, sound as powerfull and bright.

N O can mean a lot of things.

There is really no easy way to test what Alnico magnet it is.
The Super 70s were Alnico 8.

japanstrat said:
N O can mean a lot of things.

There is really no easy way to test what Alnico magnet it is.
The Super 70s were Alnico 8.
did you notice the N.O. marked on your greco pup cover? its very small though.really hard to see..

I've just looked at my Greco December 1979 Greco Super Real and I can't see N O anywhere, I'm sorry to say.

japanstrat said:
I've just looked at my Greco December 1979 Greco Super Real and I can't see N O anywhere, I'm sorry to say.
really its there, remove your pups from the guitar cause the NO mark is on the lower part of the cover,the pup holder is covering it....does anyone here noticed it? i will post pix of it soon.my screamin 82 and u2000 both have it.its really small.may be you buy a pair of glasses.how could no one noticed this?

hi
just say this ibanez super 58 pickup ..... with an 8 first
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22552280@N02/4111056997/sizes/l/in/set-72157622696872489/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22552280@N02/4111056997/sizes/l/in/set-72157622696872489/

all the best
otto

Back