VINTAGE GRECO RICK REPLICA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOGA64

Reaction score
Hi there,
has anybody here ever owned or played one of these Rick replicas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170269600861&ih=007&category=2384&_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DK%252BD%252BC%26otn%3D1%26ps%3D5

Please share your experiences if you wish :wink:

Sorry I've never played or owned one but I'm quite surprised that the "Rick Police" haven't pulled this off of Ebay yet. It's a nice looking guitar though.

Here's Koiz.....the seller. He's probably had his way with the Ric like this poor Greco. Buy at your own risk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3F85Lt_SU

hi
i got a rg 750 ric copy on the way ...... i was lost in shiping from japan but they found it after 2 month ..... :D :D :D :D :D
i will be back when i got it .... it is a 87 from fuji gen ....
all the best
otto

YOGA64 said:
Hi there,

I've got a few.....

rk%20my%20greco%20rics%20jan08a.jpg

What do you want to know?

Amazing!!!!
Anything you can tell me would be valuable.
Build quality, sound, feel, how do they compare to the "real" ones......

A FEW ,,,,,,,,, you got to be kidding ....... :D :D :D :D looks very very nice ,,,,,, i must say :D :D :D :D :D
all the best otto

Hi Yoga

I have played a Greco 320, a 330 and 4001 and they are all brilliant. Highly recommended. I never A/B'ed one with a Rick but I could tell they were excellent instruments on their own right.

You might find a few aesthetic differences here and there but, for instance, I heard people saying the Greco 4001 pickups sound better than the Rick pups themselves.

People in Japan love the Matsumoku made Grecos so if you can find one, they are of the best craftsmanship quality.

Hope that helps.

YOGA64 said:
Amazing!!!!
Anything you can tell me would be valuable.
Build quality, sound, feel, how do they compare to the "real" ones......
It's a well-known fact that the Rickenbacker people sure don't think so but I've always considered the Grecos to be 'tributes' because of how well they're made and, to me, they 'look' (except for what's written on the on the TR cover on the headstock logo and the "G" instead of an "R" on the tail piece) and 'sound' just like the originals. Most of mine were made by Greco some time between 1975 and 1982 except the 325 and the black 12-string 330 which are both 94's (I think that's the last production year because of the threats from the Rickenbacker company).

On all of them, the build quality is exceptionally good. Like every other Greco guitar I've ever had a chance to play, all the Gric's I've got are built like tanks and sounds very, very good. Has to be a combination of the good construction and the pickups because they all have a wider variety of tonal range than any other single guitar guitar I've ever had. The only one I have that doesn't follow the specs of the original is the 325 which is a solid-body unlike the semi-hollow ric original.

You see a lot of them in Japan but even there you have to look awhile to find one that's not too beat. The price on that one in the auction is about right for sale in the US where you don't see that many because of John Hall doing his best to snuff out their sales here.

Can someone out there please explain how Koiz manage to have two Rick copies for weeks and weeks on ebay and not get them pulled?

dzima said:
Can someone out there please explain how Koiz manage to have two Rick copies for weeks and weeks on ebay and not get them pulled?

It's his star quality and amazing guitar pyrotechnics in his youtube videos.

dzima said:

The word on the streets is that he threatened to fly to the US and sing at John Hall if Hall got his ads pulled. Hall isn't that brave. :wink:

:lol:

stratman323 said:
dzima said:

The word on the streets is that he threatened to fly to the US and sing at John Hall if Hall got his ads pulled. Hall isn't that brave. :wink:

:lol:

:D :D

Plus Koiz demo of of a Greco Ric could encourage a lot of people to buy the real-thing!!

hi
i got my rg 750 now .... great littel guitar ..... but ..... i can not find out what the pickup switch do ..... can any body help me ... i have been looking at a real ric manual ..... but i am not sure they are the same ....
all the best otto

Innadaze said:
YOGA64 said:
Hi there,

I've got a few.....

rk%20my%20greco%20rics%20jan08a.jpg

What do you want to know?

That's a sensational collection. I've played a couple of Greco Ric's and always found them to be great guitars. Never bought one (bought a greco 72 Tele thinline and greco 335 instead) and regret it now that I can't find one in Brisbane. How are the 12 strings? They're the ones I want but they're rare as hen's teeth in Australia.

Check the bottom of this page, my Australian friend....

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/forsale_guitars_04.html

Simonovich said:
Check the bottom of this page, my Australian friend....

http://www.tymguitars.com.au/forsale_guitars_04.html

Thanks mate.

I know the Tym Guitars shop very well, I bought both my Greco guitars from there. I saw this one and headed down there on the weekend after it was posted. I was too late. They'd sold it 20 minutes after the shop opened on the previous Monday. The guy working there said that even he hadn't gotten a chance to try it out.

Guess I'm not the only Greco fanatic in Brisbane. :D

Back