Wanted to show you my SA 900... finally got it back together

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintMIJLover

Reaction score
Hi.
I bought this guitar with the original Faultless case, quite cheap and on a whim a few months ago... it was pretty cheap and so when I bought it I expected the worst ... (auction site, so I couldn't touch or demo it)... I assumed that it would have a warped neck, or rough finish.. or really bad something?? but actually when I opened the case... heartbeat all aflutter... I was absolutely amazed.
All the hardware... everything... was in a bag inside the case.. actually two bags... and the guitar was complelely stripped and bare...

I just stood there looking at it.. and when I picked it up.. I rushed to check the neck for warpage, the back for gouges, and the seams for cracks... binding okay? yep... finish okay... yep.

The guitar was in very good condition. For the year (1978) I was very impressed. That was the good news...

Bad news.. the bridge was missing, the tailpiece as well, and the PUP covers and for all I knew the PUPs were comletely corroded.

To make a long story short... the original tuners were fine, and in good condition, and the PUPs after I removed the covers seemed fine... but I had no idea if they worked... The original wiring, switches, and pots looked okay... but again.. I had no idea...

I decided to rewire the entire thing myself... a learning experience... and then I prayed I would be able to get everything back together and back into the holes ...

so.. it was 330 in the morning one friday night... again.. heart all aflutter, when i plugged this into my classic 50 twin.... and i held my breath...
I strummed and it sprang to life...

I had always wanted a nice 335, and now I own what is reputed to be one of the finest instruments produced in Greco's and Japan's history...

Maple body, nitro finish, jacaranda brazilian fingerboard, and an almost flawless finish...

Sometimes you just have to count your blessings, and appreciate the little things in life... and when I plugged that guitar in for the first time, and strummed, and heard the sweet sounds it made.... having rewired it myself... I felt an attachment that will be with me for the rest of my days. This guitar will be in my coffin with me I think.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and my silly thoughts... its a love affair this guitar playing/collecting world... people who don't know just can't understand.

matt.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/VintAxesMIJ/Greco%20SA%20900/

Hi Matt,

Beautiful guitar, lovely finish and colour to the whole thing. The pickups looked like they had been salvaged from the bottom of the sea :lol: Other than than that it doesn't look like it's been played much at all.

Well done - great job.

Dave

VintMIJLover said:
I felt an attachment that will be with me for the rest of my days. This guitar will be in my coffin with me I think.

Part of the famous series of "You won't part with yours either" Fender ads from the 60s - but this one was never used.

Fenderad-YouWontPartWithYoursEither.jpg

Congratulations on the guitar - it must be very satisfying to restore something so neglected.

Mike

thanks for the replies...
its such a gorgeous guitar... i am really happy, and enjoying it a lot ... just with i was a better player.. but that will come in time...

i will likely spring for either some real Gibson 57 pups, or if I am really eager I might find some old used Dry Z's, pay through the nose for them, and put them on my guitar! or some Seth Lovers... not sure yet... though these pups sound great the way they are...

looking for the next salvage... there seem to be plenty here in japan...

matt.

VintMIJLover said:
thanks for the replies...
its such a gorgeous guitar... i am really happy, and enjoying it a lot ... just with i was a better player.. but that will come in time...

I will likely spring for either some real Gibson 57 pups, or if I am really eager I might find some old used Dry Z's, pay through the nose for them, and put them on my guitar! or some Seth Lovers... not sure yet... though these pups sound great the way they are...

looking for the next salvage... there seem to be plenty here in japan...

matt.

Fantastic and very worthwhile job you have done there!

I have a '78 SA-900 too and it is totally awesome - can't fault it. It has the most mojo of any of my guitars and reeks of top quality construction and materials.

As for the pups, I have DRY Zs in my EGF-1200, and I had a pair in my (since departed) SA-1200. The DRYs are considerably better in the EGF, and sound like that's where they're meant to be.

IMG_5736.jpg

I'd recommend looking for a set of the original pups from the 900 - they sound amazing in it, and one year on from acquiring the guitar, I've absolutely no thought of changing them. I think they're U-4000, here's what they look like from my site http://www.plankspankers.co.uk/Greco SA-900.htm

I had to pot them, but that's made no difference to the tone in any way - except they may be even better now.

My SA-900s not going anywhere either!

Back