Greco Precision basses

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsuspend

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me a little bit about the Greco PB copies?
So far I've found models called "Electric Bass", "Mercury Bass" and "Super Sound" but I have no idea what the names signify (if anything!)
Also, Greco seems to have used a "PBXXX" model designation where XXX was a number like "450", would this refer to the price in yen?
I realise Greco basses (pre Fender) are even less researched than Tokai's but I'm hoping for some enlightenment nevertheless :)

/Magnus

You're right in theinking the number refers to the original price in Yen, so a 450 would have been 45000 Yen (about $450) when it was made.

I don't have much experience with Greco basses, but with the guitars the quality seemed to get a lot better from 1980 onwards, but there are a fe good oldies about if you are lucky!

I have a tokai PB50 and it's a gret bass, I would imagine a Greco PB450 from 1980 onwards would be of similar quality.

Thanks John! :)
AFAIK Greco did the Fender MIJ Basses and Guitars from about 82 onwards so I guess the early 80's Greco PB copies should be quite good...?
I have two Tokai Hardpunchers by now and am very pleased with them but always on the lookout for something new 8)

/Magnus

Latest posts

Back