Edwards Jimmy Page relic vs. Greco for collector value

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Ashley

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful Edwards JP Relic. I currently have an '89 mint collection EGF Greco honeyburst as well. I think it's either an EGF850 or 1000.

I was curious to know what the experts think about long term investment value. In 10-20 years will the Greco be worth more, or were the JP Relics sufficiently limited in production such that they'll accrue some real value.

I'm looking forward to comparing the 2, but can probably only keep one at this time. Bottom line is, I'll keep the best sounding/playing one.

Thanks!

I`ll check my crystal ball and let you know. 5 years ago very few people were looking for older MIJs...many of those I got have double in value over those years...some more. Point is...who knows.

The Page is cool, although I didn't like the pickups in it. I sold it due to that. I acquired a nice '80 Greco EGF-850 that's a lot more accurate (to me) replica. Nice big neck too.

I'd bet the old MIJ's will fair better on the price increase side. However, don't plan to get rich with either. :wink:

Dollar for dollar, you get a lot more bang for the buck with the Edwards. I have an early JP with the push pull pots - light as a feather at about 7.25 lbs (xray verified that it's not chambered) and between it and my LS60 Tokai Reborn, the Eddie gets the nod. Sorry Joe but I really like the stock SD pickups - the light wood might be the factor along with the Faberkit aluminum locking tailpiece and studs paired with the ABR vintage bridge with brass saddles...... :wink:

Will it be worth more....who knows but the price has already gone up on them and it is a limited model. When they quit offering them, demand and prices should go up as with some of the other models Edwards is phasing out. Any of their Super Real Artist series guitars are a good investment.

marcusnieman said:
Sorry Joe but I really like the stock SD pickups - the light wood might be the factor along with the Faberkit aluminum locking tailpiece and studs paired with the ABR vintage bridge with brass saddles...... :wink:
No argument from me. This is personal stuff. The Page's are a good value for the work put into them at the factory.

Thanks for the input. I should have the Page by Friday and will post a pic or two. Also, if I decide to sell the Greco, I'll put it up here first.

I will complete the Page with all the nice accessories such as AL tailpiece, new bridge, correct knobs and pickup rings and switch tip as I already have them here.

Not sure about the pickups yet...and even the super switching may get gutted in favor of the more traditional electronics with HQ parts.

Glad to hear the Page relic is limited. I don't know whether this is good or bad, but the guy I bought it from had a headstock conversion by a pro luthier to read "Gibson".

To a collector, older is always better. Anyone could buy a new Edwards right now. An older Greco is harder to find and probably less abundant.

I personally would not touch any MIJ guitar from after about 1985, there really is just no need. Too many good vintage ones out there to worry about the new ones!

There are plenty of excellent guitars made after 1985, all the high end Tokais up to 2003 and OBG reissues, Bacchus BLS 120's and More. Why pick 1985..??

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
There are plenty of excellent guitars made after 1985, all the high end Tokais up to 2003 and OBG reissues, Bacchus BLS 120's and More. Why pick 1985..??

Mick

Ibanez: Artist line changes about 1985
Tokai: sweet spot years 1978-82ish
Greco: probably best around 1980-83

Nani said:
Ibanez: Artist line changes about 1985
Tokai: sweet spot years 1978-82ish
Greco: probably best around 1980-83

That's certainly up for debate on the Tokais and Grecos. I never cared much for Ibanez guitars.

The Edwards came in today. It's weird how light it is - 7.4 lbs.
Here are a couple of pics next to my Greco.

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

The super circuit pots have these thin little shafts. I had wanted to pull the knobs and put on the correct ones, gold, not amber, but the knobs aren't sliding off. The pots seem a little fragile and I don't want to rip the shaft out. Has anyone had any luck pulling the knobs on these?

marcusnieman said:
That's certainly up for debate on the Tokais and Grecos. I never cared much for Ibanez guitars.

Don't want to get too sidetracked here, but they are my personal collecting guidelines. Except of course for the Tokai golden years, which I got from some of Mark/Villager's posts and agree with. Ibanez made some good stuff - have a look at their Artist Semi-Hollow series from the early 80's.

There are some great Japanese guitars from the mid-late 80's Fernandes/Burny and Greco Mint collection, From the 90's, OBG's, and the 00's Bacchus, new Tokai, and one of the best strats I've played, a 2004 Fernandes Revival.

I think Tokai might have slipped a TINY bit in the mid '80's but apart from that they have made great guitars for 30 years.

there are some excellent guitars being made in Japan today...have been for some tme actually....most people on this site concentrate on two or 3 brands but theres no shortage of top notch builders in Japan who are happier selling in the domestic market of over 120 million people and not have to worry about dealing with outsiders.

That is absolutely correct.. :wink: There are some great guitar builders currently working in Japan, and have been for quite some time, they can be pretty hard to find though, but they are there... :)

Mick

Latest posts

Back