Greco EG500C LP - tenon, poly ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

360freq

Reaction score
i've read here that it would be good to find a Greco LP between '80-'84. so I read Rich's post about his mint. collect Goldtop and then notice this in Koiz stock: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170209188172&_trksid=p2759.l1259

this is not a true Super Real as they were only built in 1980? and Greco specs may not be consistent from model to model within the year.. so would any of you know if these LPC's have long tenon? 60's thin shape neck? poly or nitro finish?

K does not list details of his inventory, so I assume you guys may know pros and cons of this one from your catalogs. I asked the questions via eBay, but for sure will get better insight from the Tokai forum. I am concerned that all MIJ LPC's are heavy weight, but we'll see.

from the :eek: video the pickups sound sharp but maybe these Scream'in PAF's could be very overwound compared to the Z's ? (if that's what they are). they sound good.. but I don't play with much overdrive as K seems to do. TIA. any comments appreciated. -- Brian

The EGC500 is a lower model. This one is a mixture of Super Real and Mint Collection. Around 1981/1982 the Grecos (Mint Collection) started having the standard long tenon and up to 1981/1982 the tenon was a medium tenon (like the early 70s Gibsons) sometimes with dowels. I can't tell from the pics what tenon it is and I would not be concerned with the tenon type myself as I think it's all BS. Being a lower Greco model it is probably poly and underneath the black finish it would probably have a 3 piece Maple top.

thanks.. I value your input. spent some time last night searching old threads, just finding that one page with all the Greco model #'s. if the pickups are good and Customs have the usual surround binding and fret edge treatments.. what would make this a lower-end model besides the 500#?

very curious about the difference of an $800 to a $1200 LP. would it be the choice of mahogany they used to glue together? maybe the higher models used ebony fingerboards.

The 70s and early 80s 500 model Grecos usually have 3 piece Maple tops and are more likely to have the bodies made from more pieces of Mahogany and cheaper pickups and a poly finish but they are still made from the same Mahogany and Maple as the more expensive Grecos. The Grecos from the 70s and early 80s below the 500 model are sometimes made with different wood like Sycamore and Birch. My EG500 late 1979 Super Real has fret edge binding and a 3 piece Maple top and Mahogany body.

Definitely long tenon and fret edge binding, so likely a leftover Super Real era neck. I have an '82 just like it only with 3 pickups, model EG57-60.
Mine is on the heavy side weight wise, but it sure does sound great. And these early 80's Mint Collection Grecos have some of the cleanest fret dress and inlay work of any of them. The playability is usually very impressive.

I've also got a 1979 Super Real like japanstrat has
fret edge binding and a 3 piece Maple top and Mahogany body.
Its my favourite guitar. Such a nice neck for a EG500 model.

There's an auction with the same guitar as I've got going on right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-GRECO-SUPER-REAL-EG-500-MIJ-Burst-Solid-3-P-top_W0QQitemZ170226308412QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Here's my EG500 1979 Super Real:

eg500_1.jpg

And my EG700 1976 Standard:

EG700_2.jpg

Both weighs just above 4 Kg.

surprising to see a K auction with no reserve. I think nowadays (in the US at least) there has to be more incentive to get these guitars moved out of inventory. I guided a couple new US sellers to add fretwork and tenon pics as well as keeping a low starting bid.. both sold for a bit less than the previous BIN.. but it's all good.

of course, many older MIJ's are candidates for refrets or dressings.. so if they make their way into the hands of players (not only collectors), some of that work may get done. I have a 70's Yamaha hollowbody that's getting a refret.. otherwise it was unplayable (the seller said the frets were fine).

some of you (that I pm'd) in the past months know i've been looking for a lightweight LP for a while now. I actually passed on the MIJ's and decided to get a newer Gibson. I could not find one with a thin 60's neck that was around 8lbs.. and the few I found had dents in the back of the neck or other anomalies. a seller confirmed this fact to me and what i've learned is that many player owned 70's-80's guitars from Japan were not well maintained.

a good resource for viewing large pics of various MIJ's and such would be to locate chingo123 on eBay. then direct yourself to David's feedback area and click on the item #'s that sold. just about every guitar has nice pics of the tenon cavity and headstock inlay etc.. and via the info obtained from this forum, I was able to view guitars from the different factory years to get a better idea of the craftsmanship.

hope you are all doing well -- really nice helpful folks on this form.

Brian

The Greco Super Real EG500 at http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-GRECO-SUPER-REAL-EG-500-MIJ-Burst-Solid-3-P-top_W0QQitemZ170226308412QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 looks like a great guitar that might go at a reasonable price seeing that 3 piece tops are not everyone's favourite.

My Greco Super Real EG500 is from the same month and year December 1979 and is a Tobacco burst with a 3 piece Maple top, Mahogany body and neck and fret edge binding and as far as I can tell it has a nitro finish so maybe this Greco does as well. The December 1979 Super Reals were some of the first Super Reals made and I think Kanda Shokai and Fujigen put in a bit extra for these early Super Reals including the lower models like the EG500. The EG500 Super Reals are made in the same way as the higher models but had a few cost cutting things like 3 piece tops and the cheaper U-1000 pickups. My Greco has a classic Les Paul sound and that's all that matters to me.

EG500B, EG500R, EG500S, EG500T: Mahogany body, Maple three piece top, Black, Red Sunburst, Sunburst, Tobacco Sunburst finish, Mahogany neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, U-1000 pickups.

Back