New Epiphone Slash Signature

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3979

Reaction score
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=289&CollectionID=6
289_01.jpg
289_02.jpg

Before anyone starts laughing too hard, this actually looks like a **** fine guitar for the money.

$699, Some specs:

- Set Neck, Long Tenon
- Slash Custom Neck Profile
- SD Alnico II Pro Pickups
- Locktone Stopbar (ABR-1 Bridge)
- Flame Maple Top (probably laminate)
- Mahogany Body (probably 2 piece)

I think this is proof that Gibson is aware of Edwards and the retail threat they pose. While it's made in Korea and not Japan, I think this looks fairly competitive with the "Japanese Invasion" (from another Asian country ). I think Slash is the sort of guy who takes designing a signature model seriously and wants it to have good specs and a reasonable price, which is what this definitely comes off as. Gibson makes a good business move for once? Discuss.

N_IommiRev1.jpg

And I reckon THIS would be a fine guitar...but the peals of laughter stop me from praising it too hard :cry:

If i was going to spend $700 bucks on a guitar i'd be buying either a second hand japanese guitar or even a brand new one. I don't particularly like the colour of this one but i'd buy it over a korean epiphone any day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Love-Rock-Made-in-Japan-LP-Standard-Cherry_W0QQitemZ230183571637QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Mick

swimrunner makes some good points. Gibson will sell a bunch of those.

Me, I go the used Tokai and Edwards route. Too much bang for buck to ignore.

this Slash model really looks promising, but what i cant stand on Epiphones is their 3mm thick plastic "finish" as they call it :S and that horrible work when doing burst of any colour. You end up having that yellow just around the stopbar whule everything else is pitch black. There even isn't a nice fading, nothing - just black/yellow, not to mention the "tear" shape of that yellow... Can't they just do the finish properly for once???
(that's why i went for Translucent Amber - doesn't have that horrible burst - but i'll sell it as soon as my Edwards 130LTS arrives :evil: ) :D

Back