Mahogany used in Edwards' guitars? (african or indonesian??)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberpunk409

Reaction score
hey guys, i don't have a picture available of the back of my Edwards guitar, but i was hoping that someone out their with an Edwards guitar might be able to help.

Is the mahogany used in the body of Edwards LP's african or that indonesian luaun/laun (sp?) stuff?

I know some of you will say "who cares? as long as it sounds good". and sound good it does :) i'm just curious which type they use is all. so if anyone knows, chime me in. thanks

SWEET! :) Does that extend to newer Edwards LP's as well? I have a 2007 Les Paul, and the grain looks similar to my old Epiphone, which i know used Indonesian.

I'm pretty sure it does {a little gets lost in translation :eek: } and i think the indo stuff is a heavier type of mahogany if its mahogany at all, don't really know much about indo mahogany.... :wink: .....Mick

yeah, the indonesian stuff isn't "technically" mahogany, since it's a different species, but they have been allowed to "officially" call it mahogany... which kinda sucks huh?

I'm sure the Edwards does use African, i'm just suprised they can keep prices so low on the Edwards LP's if they are using African mahogany. If you look at their other lines such as the Strats and Explorer's and V's, then you'll notice that they sell for about as much as their Les Pauls, which is stunning considering that Les Pauls requires so much extra work (attaching a maple cap, carving a maple cap, setting the right neck angle, applying a flame veneer, etc - all things that the other models i mentioned dont have).

Yeah i had a bit of a surf and the indonesian "mahogany" is used a lot in furniture and so is honduras mahogany, maybe i should be looking for dining tables, imagine how many Les Pauls you'd get out of a 6ft by 4ft table... :p .
I don't have an Edwards yet but i will eventually {trying to get at least one of every mij LP make}. They look like great value for money and they have an excellent neck joint.

Mick (leadguitar 123),
i have a Mint series Greco LPC which is great, a few Burny LPC which are good, but not quite up to the Greco. i have been thinking about an Edwards, a 59 model maybe. i would love to hear how it goes if you do get an Edwards. with the bodies being so light i would think that the tone is a bit more 'brighter' as the mahogany is not as dense.
if anyone else can give a comparison of the above guitars that would be great

Big Ace, I have a 1990 Greco Mint Collection and a new Edwards Les Paul...the Edwards is definately heavier than the Greco...I don't have scales to weigh them on but it's atleast a pound heavier...here's a few pics of my Edwards. :p

100_1999-1.jpg

100_2000.jpg

big-ace said:
i have been thinking about an Edwards, a 59 model maybe. i would love to hear how it goes if you do get an Edwards. with the bodies being so light i would think that the tone is a bit more 'brighter' as the mahogany is not as dense.
if anyone else can give a comparison of the above guitars that would be great

big-ace,

I've had the opportunity to compare between '85 Tokai LS150, '93 Gibbo Classic and my Edwards 90LTS ...
YES ... the Eddie is the brightest sounding LP. I have tried to get a more vintage vibe by replacing all electronics and pups ... the tone pots are very important to turn down before she's sounding too bright, especially in the bridge position ...
That was also the reason for replacing my Kloppmanns pups by BN Mules at least ...

So ... your assumption regarding the wood density might be right !!

Roger

Latest posts

Back