Epi Japan solid top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
:) BEST Epi Lester I've ever played :) arrived today from Japan; thanks Toshi 8)

Episolid1.jpg

Post Orville & just as good as any Orville I've had in my hands :D
toshiepihead.jpg

The two top halves could not be more different; the lower with lots of figuring & small growth ring structure, and the upper with it's wide, flowing flat sawn grain. What a great contrast!!

I've had a few Epiphone Japan models, and they all have been surprisingly very good sounding, with all stock components.

Even though this one has the small pots, tiny caps, & the pickups that seem to get knocked by many, this thing actually has a strong, even output.

If I keep it for the long haul, I may consider upgrading the pots & caps but the pickups do really have a nice response.

how long will Epiphone Japan keep making these guitars with Gibbo headstocks? They dont seem to feature as regular stock on some website who mainly sell MIC AND MIK epis...unless its some limited run..a pity

It would be interesting to know. :wink: I had one (brand new) just a few weeks ago and it was a 06. It looks like they are not selling well at all.

I think the last models issued were the SG.

Shops are full of them, as in 2007 stock or secondhand sneakyjapan?

Are they widely advertised in Japan, these Epi Japanese guitars?

they are new...and coincidently...most are SGs...but not all... saw a couple of customs too. Haven`t picked any up to try but they are new...used Epiphones go for very little here ... maybe because we can get used Edwards for slightly more money. One shop had 2 Elites for ages and nobody wanted them...after they were at 50% off for a long time they finally went. There are many Japanese builders making outstanding guitars these days...though most members here don`t care cause it seems everybody is focused on Greco or Tokai... most Epiphones I see here are MIKs with the batch of MIJs that arrived a few months ago, but honestly, I`ve not been tempted...so many very fine MIJs to select from.

Maybe they don't surface so much on the web. There's many interesting brands (like Sonic or Combat, etc...) but they are very expensive and most makers produce STrat/tele or LP/ES models so if you' re not into those there's not so much choice.

Anyone know anything about these?
http://www.guitars-amps-sales.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=171

Dave

20 century boy said:
Maybe they don't surface so much on the web. There's many interesting brands (like Sonic or Combat, etc...) but they are very expensive and most makers produce STrat/tele or LP/ES models so if you' re not into those there's not so much choice.

all anybody has to do is come to Japan, it`s in the same location it`s always been...so they can see for themselves just whats available.

today I looked at half a dozen of the MIJ Epiphones in two shops and all had 6 as the first digit of the serieals...I assume that means 2006?

We can reasonably think so. F60... made at Fujigen in 2006. This limited serie was from Yamano so I Guess production ended with the contract. Most shop I check regularly have hard time selling them. As you said, you can have an Edwards for a little cheaper and those don't need a P.U. upgrade.

Latest posts

Back