Burny 'Super Grade' - solid tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
They may not be collectable like the older Tokais & the flamey Grecos but the Burny solid tops are my favorite 'players' Les Paul, bar none.
Enjoy...............and oh, by the way, nice snag on eBay there Brock :D

my #1 RLG in very RARE amber @ 8 lb. 15 oz.
RLGambersun.jpg

#2 RLG - lemon drop @ 8 lb. 14 oz.
RLGlemonsun.jpg

#3 RLG - cherry burst @ 9 lb. 4 oz.
RLG3cherry.jpg

cherry burst @ 8 lb. 12 oz. - - SOLD - - went to England
RLGcherrysun.jpg

honey burst - SOLD - went to Washington state
RLGHoney-SOLD.jpg

tobacco burst - SOLD - went to Florida
BurnyTchair1.jpg

SUPER figured cherry burst - SOLD - went to Germany
RLGCherry-SOLD.jpg

honey burst - SOLD - don't remember where this one went :lol: ........
BurnyHiroOutsideGrain.jpg

SUPER grain & figured RARE tea burst - SOLD - went to Canada
RLG-80T4-1.jpg

Yea, those are sweet MIJ. My favorites are the first honey burst and that last tea burst. That last one is something. I love that Bacchus you got right now too. Those big 70's headstocks are so cool. If only I didn't already have 7 strats. I think I have too many, going to try to par it down to 4 in a few months. Keeping both Bacchus, a Moon, and a 76'.

I'm a player, not a collector.
I do not care whether they are "collectible", but i care whether they sound good, play good, look good.
These Burnys you show look very good, imho!

And if they sound as good and play as good as my two Burnys, they are rather good instruments ;).
If the price is o.k., grab 'em (unless you are more collector than player).

See you
B.

MIJvintage said:
burnyIII, .... maybe you'll see it some day

Thank you MIJvintage :) , but i already have 2 Burnys and i am really happy with them.
I do not need another Burny or other Les Pauls ...

http://www.gwebspace.de/burny/2burnys-pict01.jpg

See you
B.

MIJ, do you know what color the bobbins are in those? This new Burny I recieved is confusing me.

specs:

1-piece back,
Scarfed on heel,
fret-edge bound,
black wire burny pickups w/ gold back plate
cream/white zebra bobbins
Solid top with a little birdseye and slight flame
middle high super grade logo
Bell truss rod cover
Burny logo with a little more of a gold hint to it than most
NO numbers anywhere
green caps (but the wiring looks totally different from both my mid/late 80's and the pics of the 82-87 50/60 on the burny123 info page).

I would guess it's one very similar to these pics you are posting MIJ. Although I thought most of the RLG 50's have 2 or 3 piece backs. Maybe I just got a lucky one.

I've never had the (pup) covers off of any of my Burnys so, I have no idea

The next to last/7th one pictured above, labeled honey burst - SOLD, has a 1 piece back.
The last one pictured, labeled SUPER grain & figured RARE tea burst - SOLD, was almost a 1 piece; just a little sliver of a 2nd piece at the very bottom of the control route kept it from being a 1 piece

From what I've seen of the Burny plain tops, they're all over the map, no set in stone specs that I could see, at least as far as body back construction

My best ones all have had 3 piece bodies; go figure

Would you say that all these that you pictured are RLG-50's?

I figured this one I bought was at least an RLG-50, but with the 1-piece back and the birdseye on the top, it could also be something higher. I am still not sure. Either way, it is a smoking guitar. Really sounds nice and has a lot of "vibe". Anyway, I figured it is hard to go wrong with an early 80's, 1-piece back burny.

Anyway, I will post some detailed pics in awhile; probably be a month or more, for I am heading up past you into Canada for a few weeks of walleye and Laker fishing. Yes!

All of the above share several main attributes; 2 pc. center seam maple top, fret edge binding, short/neck length tenon, NO serial number

I assume these are all RLG-50 models

Brock, I forgot to mention, the fact that the seller claimed the finish was nitro, is a big question mark, in my book

It may be nitro but I would wager that it's a poly finish; 99.99% odds are it's poly

I've never owned a nitro finished solid top Burny, not to say there are not any out there, floating about

You can always pop out a pup & test it; at least you'll know if the seller was correct in his claim, or not.........

btmish said:
test it how?

get some lacquer thinner (acetone) and wet the end of a Q-Tip with it.

Swab it in the bottom of a pickup cavity, and see if it will liquify the finish.

If it does, it's nitro; if it won't, it's not nitro.

Just don't get the acetone on the finish, anywhere the finish is showing :eek:

I would bet you a C note that you have a poly finish

Acetone melts Nitro like butta-My wife works at a silcone chip mfg company-she sneeks me out a little bit every now and then- I check all
my les pauls to verify the Nitro melts like butta- the poly will act like the acetone is water

MIJvintage said:
villager said:
that test only works for 100% nitro..if theres any nitro/stabiliser mix it doesnt work

..........and then it wouldn't be a true nitro finish.............just possibly, a wanna be nitro :lol: ....................

Well, I did the acetone test already. Not in the pick-up cavity, but on the back of the guitars for the page I seen describing the process (before you said about doing it in the pick up cavity) claimed it could be buffed out.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Finish/AcetoneFinishTest/acetonetest.html

Now, for the strange outcome. I tested my mid/late 80's burny, nothing...must be poly. I then tested this new burny I have...nothing, must be poly. Ok then, I thought, I want to see one with nitro, so I tested the SRV bacchus, which you claimed to be nitro, I have seen elsewhere always to be nitro, and which I STILL believe is nitro....and....nothing....hmm.

So, either one of these 3 conclusions must be drawn:

1. I am somehow doing the test wrong
2. The SRV, and the Burnys, are Poly, or
3. The possibility of a nitro/stabiliser mix (see villager's post)

Now, granted, #1 could very possibly be the explanation. Although the test looked fairly simple, I must confess, I am somewhat an idiot.

And, as I said, I would say, almost without a doubt, the Bacchus is nitro.

Basically, I have gained no knowledge from this experiment and have actually become even more confused. The mid 80's Burny I thought was poly, and still think it is. This new Burny I really had no idea, and still don't, although I guess my leaning would be a little more on the Poly side now. And my SRV, which I thought, 100% was nitro, has dropped slightly to more like 85-90% sure. I really still think it is, just by the look of it, but I also thought this test would show it to be, and it didn't.

Argh.

As for the C-note bet, no thanks, I am not, nor have ever been remotely convinced this is nitro. I would lean toward it not being so, but if I were to get, say, 8-1 or something, I may be persuaded to lay down some mula.

Praying for Peace,
Brock

Back