very interesting ObG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villager

Reaction score
I have just got a new old ObG custom, it has the 57 classics as stock, fret edge binding and a nitro finish, its an ObG without any doubt....BUT it has no ser number, but there is a mark where there was a sticker on the headstock back, this is the first ObG that I have seen with a sticker rather than a ser no, its a wine red custom..so my guess is its a very very late 1995 model, which for some reason has the sticker format rather than the ser no...it also has a long tenon..

any one seen another like this?

5e2c4a35.jpg

12119612.jpg

e35c96b5.jpg

faf74d26.jpg

I can tell by the wide split diamond spacing and the headstock shape that this is a Terada OBG and not a FujiGen one and it should have a G serial number.
The FujiGen ones have less pointy edges on the headstock resulting in a different shape and they have a closer together split diamond.
The K Orville customs have the same headstock shape and split diamond spacing as the OBG G serial ones so Terada seems to be where the K Orvilles come from.
The shape on the back of the headstock seems to match the shape of a K sticker.
Is the shape an indentation or more of a sticker residue mark?

It looks like a genuine OBG to me.
If the mark is an indentation maybe what happened was they had already stamped the neck with a serial number for a OBG then decided due to some minor flaw that it was going to be a K Orville neck so they got rid of the stamped serial leaving the mark and then they decided to use it on a OBG anyway.
There are other things that back something like this up with the OBG's and Orvilles.
Like how some OBG's got medium tenons and how some K Orvilles got long tenons from the same years 1988/89-1993.

Well seeing that it's a sticker mark your probably right.
I'd go for very early because it isn't a FujiGen OBG.
The sticker mark is the same size and in the same location as a K sticker.
Strange.
I wonder if the sticker was a K sticker.

Someone from one of the Japanese Greco sites says someone recently in Japan had a OBG LP Deluxe with no serial so it seems there are a few but they don't turn up often.

mark u forgot the wonderful non-tone effecting fret edge binding too :D

FRET EDGE BINDING!

It seems genuine to me.
I've seen a ES-35 OBG with no serial but it did have the inside body sticker and some Japanese say that they have had OBG's with no serial.
When I showed them this thread they weren't surprised.
Yamano would have put a sticker on it rather than send it back to the factory I think.
The serial number is always printed on the Yamano OBG warranty even for the K Orvilles so I think if it isn't serialized by the factory Yamano then add a serial sticker for their warranty.
Kanda Shokai and Fernandes don't seem to care too much about Grecos and Burnys with no serial but Yamano seems to be different.
And I'm pretty sure I saw a Orville EB-3 with a sticker the other day although it was hard to see it properly and if it was a EB-3 with a sticker then it's the first one as they are usually ink stamped.
I've had another look at the Orville EB-3 and it definitely has a sticker mark at the back of the headstock and is the first one I've seen.

well of course its genuine...

...that was never in any doubt...my point was its the first ever I have seen with a sticker on an ObG..

I have a couple late 95 ObG 335's with no ser number on the headstock..just on the inside sticker...

Well it's a great find.
I suspected that some OBG's might have a sticker but I couldn't find any so I gave up.

what is business behavior?

I can't see any offer to sell it in this post.

if anyone else thinks this is an advertising post please let me know and I will happily delete the whole post.....

after all moonstrat has all of 9 posts so he must know the rules better than me.....

however i do not see any problem here? or am I missing something?

long time contributers please comment.....

of course everyone knows I am the worlds finest seller of vintage japanese guitars...hehe

but this post is in no way an advert ...its was meant to be simply an informative post on a very unusual guitar...

Latest posts

Back