Edwards - They look great - Couple of Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Hey,

Man I love my PRS Swamp Ash Special, but I'm looking for a second guitar for the gigs. From what I've read, these Edward axes seem like really good value. I need some input on a couple of the models and features:

JP RELIC MODEL - How are the stock PUP switches?? Also does the JP model come with a bone nut? Are these gotoh tuners of good quality? Will they hold their tune better then the kluson type tuners??

I can coil split on my PRS, so I don't feel the need to have this function on the JP RElic. I assume the JP Relics that can't coil split are wired indentical to the standard Edward LPs. Is this the case?

LES PAUL JUNIOR RELIC - I really like the look of this little guitar (especially in TV Yellow). How would this guitar compare to Gibson's Billie Joe Armstrong LP Junior? Being such a simplistic guitar, one would assume you could do a better job directly comparing both of these little axes. Also, does the non-relic version of this guitar come in a glossy finish?

Thanks folks

PRSMAN

Can't help you with JP model, but plenty of folks here could. I've had the relic Jr model in TV yellow for about a year now. Great guitar, very playable and very light (about 6.5 lbs). However, it comes stock with 250K Nobles pots and a fairly generic ceramic disc cap like the ones modern production Gibsons have. To get the best out of a LP Jr, you should upgrade to good quality 500k audio pots, eg CTS or CGE and a decent paper/oil 0.022mFd cap. I did all this to my Edwards Jr & it's all the better for it. I also replaced the Duncan Vintage P90 with an Antiquity P90 'cos I like the old-school Johnny Thunders type sound. However if you want the Green Day vibe, keep the SD Vintage P90, but upgrade the pots to 500k, you won't be disappointed.
With all the changes I've made, it's my favourite guitar

Thanks - very informative.

Are the stock pots in the Gibby junior of a higher quality then the stock pots in the Edwards?

All your upgrading is making me somewhat nervous, as I'm getting the feeling the stock electronics in these Edwards guitars are shoddy. I hope this isn't the case.

Have your upgrades improved the tone of your guitar?

Again, how do you think a stock Edwards compares to a stock gibby jr.??

I want to make sure I make the right decision, for I've been burned before (translation: bought an Epi les paul)!!

Again, how do Edwards owners find the quality of their JP RElics and LPs in their stock form?? Are the electronics on par with a Gibson??

I really appreciate your input!!

-prsman

I'm pretty sure the JP Les Paul comes with CTS pots as standard (same as Gibson USA). I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the pots in the Les Paul jnr, if you really feel the need to change them it's a cheap & easy fix. What matters is the construction quality of the guitar.

prsman said:
Thanks - very informative.

Are the stock pots in the Gibby junior of a higher quality then the stock pots in the Edwards?

All your upgrading is making me somewhat nervous, as I'm getting the feeling the stock electronics in these Edwards guitars are shoddy. I hope this isn't the case.

Have your upgrades improved the tone of your guitar?

Again, how do you think a stock Edwards compares to a stock gibby jr.??

I want to make sure I make the right decision, for I've been burned before (translation: bought an Epi les paul)!!

Again, how do Edwards owners find the quality of their JP RElics and LPs in their stock form?? Are the electronics on par with a Gibson??

I really appreciate your input!!

-prsman

The stock pots in my Edwards Jr were good quality, but 250K, which in my opinion doesn't give a Gibson-styled guitar-whether humbuckered or P90ed- enough of a sweep, in other words it sounds a bit muffled, strangled, constipated, whatever. 250K is right for a Fender-style single coil guitar whose brightness can often do with some attenuating.
The only Gibsons I ever owned were from the early 90s (LP Standard & Special) and both had 300K linear pots, which are also unsatisfactory for that type of guitar. They also had ceramic disc caps identical to the one in the Edwards. SO....I guess what I'm saying is that the stock electronics in Edwards guitars are no worse than what you'd get on any production model Gibson USA guitar, but that that's not quite good enough for me. Then again, I'm a bit of a tonegeek perfectionist etc.
The upgrades are definitely worth doing imo, but even without them, my Edwards is way more resonant, lightweight & playable than either of my Gibsons ever were (yes I upgraded them too).
BTW, I also have Burny & Tokai takes on the TV Jr & I like the Edwards best

JohnA said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the pots in the Les Paul jnr, if you really feel the need to change them it's a cheap & easy fix. What matters is the construction quality of the guitar.

Absolutely!

Guitargoblin said:
JohnA said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the pots in the Les Paul jnr, if you really feel the need to change them it's a cheap & easy fix. What matters is the construction quality of the guitar.

Absolutely!

Yes. In case you think the guitar sounds a little too muffled in your ears, you can easily change the pots. If you like the sound as is, no need to do anything.

What really matters is the construction quality of the guitar.

Guitargoblin said:
The only Gibsons I ever owned were from the early 90s (LP Standard & Special) and both had 300K linear pots, which are also unsatisfactory for that type of guitar. They also had ceramic disc caps identical to the one in the Edwards. SO....I guess what I'm saying is that the stock electronics in Edwards guitars are no worse than what you'd get on any production model Gibson USA guitar, but that that's not quite good enough for me.

I second that ... electronics have similar quality - and suck ... so - both of them need an upgrade in pots and caps ... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Additionally my 90LTS is a very bright sounding guitar - you can't put in any pups you're being aware of ... the selection is more difficult.

My Gibbo Classic is less complicated and - after the electric replacement - provides all the woody, snarling and quacking PAF sound I could die for ... 8)

The "craftmanship" on both is excellent ... OK - my Eddie doesn't have the fret-edge-binding but has the long tenon ... against that the Gibbo is much lighter than the Eddie - because of the weight relief holes obviously ... 8)

Roger

I have both and Edwards Jimmy Page model with coil splitting super circuit pots and I have an Edwards Junior in TV yellow.

Wouldn't change a thing on either of them and I gig with them regularly. I've owned and do still own alot of guitars (including an Edwards Blackie relic strat and an Edwards black ES335) - for the money, there is not a better bargain on the streets than Edwards guitars in terms of what you get for your money. I always take my new guitars over to one of the best guitar guys in Dallas for a once over and he flat out told me to never sell the Edwards 335 and if I ever considered it, he wants first shot at it.

Sure you can change pots, pickups, nuts, and change the flavor of the guitar - depends on what you are going for. I like my Edwards guitars to sound like Edwards guitars which ain't a bad thing. I'm constantly complimented on how nice those guitars sound and people are amazed by these little guitars that they've never heard of before here in the States.

That's my two cents on the Edwards brand. :wink:

Hi,

I have 4 Edwards guitars:
- P90 Les Paul Custom E-85
- Les Paul Quilted Top E-85..
- SG
- Flying V

They are all excellent guitars and are made extremely well.
I haven't even considered changing any of the components.
They just play extremely well.

I would highly recommend them because they were all around $600 US
and nothing for that price (or double) can touch them.

-- Bill

thanks for your input.

I've been crunching the numbers on getting a JP relic to Bermuda (where I live) and it will cost me, including shipping, $1,100.

Ishibashi is the vendor.

Although I thought it would be more then that, I'm somewhat leary about forking that much over for an import (non-USA) axe. I can get an lp studio (no laminate) here for $1,350. WHAT TO DO??

Man, buying guitars is stressful for me.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions???

I'd go for the JP. With such rave reviews by everyone and possible limited availablility, it'd be the choice for me. Actually, I'm trying to convince the wife to let me get one but first on the menu is a strat.

Another point - if you get the JP and don't like it, I'm sure it'll be no problem to get rid of and then you can get the GIbby.

Marcus - I read a review about the JP from a guy who disn't like the neck. He said it wasn't as big as he'd thought and was therefore selling it. What would you compare the neck to? I like a fairly large neck. My LS-150 and ES-120 feel like they're at home in my hands.

Jason

Big Willie Style said:
What would you compare the neck to? I like a fairly large neck. My LS-150 and ES-120 feel like they're at home in my hands.
Jason

The neck is fairly comparable to a Gibson slim taper neck. It is NOT a large neck, like your LS-150. I've also a Tokai LS-145S which, like your 150, is a relatively large neck (though not like a Gibson fat 50s). My Tokai ES-135 falls somewhere between the the JP and LS145 (or your 150).

Hope that helps.

James

Big Willie Style said:
Marcus - I read a review about the JP from a guy who disn't like the neck. He said it wasn't as big as he'd thought and was therefore selling it. What would you compare the neck to? I like a fairly large neck. My LS-150 and ES-120 feel like they're at home in my hands.

Jason

Yeah, like Stone Free said, it's a nice comfortable slim profile neck.....to be clear, it does have nice width to it and not overly narrow. But it doesn't fill the palm of your hand like a clubby 59 neck. I love it - very comfortable to play.

Truth be told, my Edwards Junior neck is thicker.

prsman said:
thanks for your input.

Ishibashi is the vendor.

You shouldn't have mentioned that. -) I just checked their site after a while. There's a P-90 Black Beauty (but not Alnico PUps) and two very nice Telly style guitars. 77.000 yen, you gotta be kidding. How am I supposed to get over that w/o buying....

I tested an Edwards Jp model in the U.K. but couldn't afford to buy. Would have if I had had the funds.

I have ordered form Ishibashi befor, a friend of mine too. They are cool.

Sorry about that. Yeah, that website can make you feel like a big drooling kid in a candy store.

I've yet to pull the purchase trigger on the JP relic.

Another Question: How much more tuning stability do the Gotoh tuner provide over the kluson tuners?? The standard Edward LPs are very nice, but I think I'm leaning towards the jp model because of the tuners.

REgards,

prsman

I think Japanese stores like Ishibashi and Ikebe can't sell brands like ?pi lacquer or Edwards to oversea anymore. :-?

I've seen that too I think at the Fender forum about Fender Japan but someone said that Ishibashi just doesn't want to sell to dealers but non dealers seem to be still able to buy.
How do they work out who is a dealer?
This is all totally unverified of course.

I remember now how they work out if you are a dealer it's something like if you have bought 3 or more guitars off them in the last year then they will think you are a dealer or something like that.

I HAVE TAKEN THE PLUNGE!!

Yes, I have ordered a JP Relic LP!!

These axes look deadly.

Sadly, I fear I will be waiting a very long time, as Ishibashi has informed me that my mail order purchase may not arrive till August - oh well, I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder.

It's kinda funny and timley, for our band just learnt "the Ocean".

Happy camper here,

-prsman

Latest posts

Back