Orville By Gibson Reissue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsi

Reaction score
I have question about offer to buy Orville by Gibson for around $1100 AUD

How good is Orville reissue LPR59?

Guitar Good is really experienced with Orville guitars and I have check most of his posts but I can't find anything special about LPR59.

Gibson 59 Reissue guitar is very expensive and respected. Is Orville by Gibson close to Gibson r59 ?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~zpopovic/Orville By Gibson Standard/Album1.htm

This is link to my first Orrville and my first question
Thanks
Popsi

[/url]

As far as I know the OBG reissue models have model numbers like LPS-59R LPC-57B LPS-57C and they start in late 1992 and finish in 1995.
The genuine OBG reissues are the top of the line and are really in the Gibson Historic class.
The OBG that your talking about is from Feb 1991 so I don't think it would be a OBG reissue but all the OBG's and Orvilles are reissues in a way.
It would have a nitro finish and is a lot cheaper than the Gibson equivalent.

Hi popsi ...

I'm afraid to tell you but this actual model is ObG LPS (not LPR) made in ~ '91 (G1xxxxx).

LPS models were made between 88~94 feat. 'standard' on the thruss rod cover and without fret end bindings ...
LPR models were made between late 92 to early 95 (but mainly between 93~94) feat. blanko thruss rod cover and fret end bindings

ObG LPR (reissue)
ObG LPS (standard)

is there a noticeable difference in quality though? those sound like relatively minor details

anyhow that comes out to around $900 USA which sounds like a pretty good price, i'd recommend taking it.

only differences between ObG LPS Vs ObG LPR models ... as far as i know >> fret edge binding + thruss rod cover :-? oh ... and reissue models (LPR) have fatter necks ...

Everything that has been posted so far in the replies to your initial post is money-in-the-bank spot-on. From the photos on that website, it looks to be in very good condition and will probably get that price pretty easily from someone but if it were me and I needed another one, I'd offer him $100 USD or so less and/or ask for free shipping because it's a Standard and not a Reissue and if he picked it up directly from an individual in Japan, his asking price is probably anywhere from $200 to $400 USD more than he paid for it.

OBGs are excellent guitars. My experience is that there is a world of difference between regular Orvilles and OBGs but the quality difference between OBG Reissues and Standards is minimal although, given the choice, I would always prefer a Reissue because they are more desirable and fewer of them out there.

Sorry for confusion,

I have pictured my old ObG guitar. New guitar has serial 2 09055 and I do not have picture

Really nice forum. Thanks for all replays

Popsi

So the one in the link in the original post is an OBG that you already own? That's cool. I have one of its twins that is a 'reissue':
01%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

02%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

03%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

04%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

05%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

06%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

07%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

08%20rkOBG%20BB%20LPS.JPG

There were a few OBG LPR's made in '92 like the one in the pics above that I bought about 15 years (Serial No. G212245), so the one you are considering could be worth the 1100 AUD if it is a reissue. You can hold one and tell the difference between an OBG standard and a reissue but the giveaway (visually) is the fret-edge binding.

Nobody on the Les Paul Forum would ever admit it, much less even discuss it (despite their widespread complaining about quality issues with newer American made LPs including R8's and R9's), all things being relative and your main interest is build quality, playability and sound not headstock decals (although I have seen some pretty fancy, flamey veneer caps on them), then the OBG LPR's are not only near the Gibson r59's, but for the money, definitely better.

Back