Burny Super Grade on its way - what upgrades?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra8272

Reaction score
Hi
I've just scored a Burny Super Grade on ebay- i'll try to post some pics.
What upgrades are recommended if any.
I've read that stopbar, bridge, pots and nut should be replaced.
Is this correct and if so what should i upgrade with?
From the pics i've got and the ones on the Burny info page i think it may be a 1982 -84 FLG 90 with L8000 pickups.
Until i get it its pretty much a guess but any info or advice woulf be much apprecated.
Thanks and regards
Cobra
Here is a link
http://www.apionet.or.jp/~koiz/BN-LP-HS/BN-LP-HS.htm

I'd say it's an RLG-50 from around 1984. Plain top, black wires (earlier RLG-50 had grey wire). I have a similar one in cherry sunburst.

As for upgrades I'd wait till you have her. I didn't do no upgrades to mine besides waxpotting the bridge pickup and I don't really think it needs any. Those are great guitars, I'm sure you'll like her :wink:

its an RLG 50,...lol i love the way he trys to compare it to my RLG-150...

''Some EU japan guitars Dealer did say same typemodel''
"Not for sale".

thats just misleading...

my RLG-150...1 piece back, Nitro finish, Solid Birdseye Top.

BurnySuperGradeRLG-90Birdseye198-6.jpg

compared to my RLG-50...2 piece back, Poly Finish.

BurnySuperGradeLPRLG-50Honeyburs-1.jpg

Thanks guys - so its an RLG-50.
I didn't think the RLG-50 had fret edge binding?
The Pics show it has this.
Cobra

That fits in with what i've tried to work out.
Are the bridge and stopbar/tailpiece of good quality on the RLG-50?
What pickups would be in it?
Cobra

That's what i've based my thoughts on.
I'm expecting delivery by next Friday so i''l know more then
Thanks
Cobra

villager said:
its an RLG 50,...lol i love the way he trys to compare it to my RLG-150...

''Some EU japan guitars Dealer did say same typemodel''
"Not for sale".

thats just misleading...

my RLG-150...1 piece back, Nitro finish, Solid Birdseye Top.

BurnySuperGradeRLG-90Birdseye198-6.jpg

compared to my RLG-50...2 piece back, Poly Finish.

BurnySuperGradeLPRLG-50Honeyburs-1.jpg

I think the second one looks nicer.

Nice machine Cobra. I was looking at that axe too, Koiz kind of scared me though. Nonetheless, looks to be a great guitar, at a good price.

[/quote]

I think the second one looks nicer.[/quote]

I like the look of the second one better too. For some reason, birdseye on les paul top does nothing for me. Villager's flg 90, on the other hand, makes me sweat at night aching for it. mmmm!

Yes Btmish - Koiz!
I've bought 2 other guitars from Japan and have been really happy with them , but being Fenders i had to swap out pickups and electrics. They now are awesome guitars.
I figured even if it wasn't as nice as the pics it will still be a nice axe.
I can get my money back easy here in Aus for it.
I'll leave it as is unless i find a problem as everyone on this forum doesn't seem to have an issue with standard fittings, which i'm glad to hear!
I'd like to thank everyone who replied and for posting other remarks as without your help i wouldn't have gone this way.
Thanks again
Cobra

I was keeping a close look on that ebay burny too, looked a cracker (If a little used). But should be a sweet buy for what it went for. I have a later 80s (I think) RLG50 and the hardware is all fine, everything nickel plated (I hate chrome plating) and looks to be of decent quality, Pickups are good too, but I can't comment If they're as good as the 'original' VH1s that were fitted to the higher end mid 80s burnys or available as an aftermarket upgrade. I did find that the soldering was a little bit messy and only low grade plain wire is used to wire it all up, unlike the braded wire used on the earlier supergrades. But honestly, that's about all I can critisise about it, though it is a fairly hefty sucker.
Of course if you go down the upgrading route you'll have to think about the knock on to any future value, as potential collectors items they'd always be more desireable in original condition.

.....I love that RLG150 of yours Villager....I noticed that it is no longer 'not for sale'. pity about the scratching on the headstock though.

Thanks Bigtone
Yes i prefer the nickel to the Chrome.
I was very pleasantly surprised that i got it so cheap as i thought it might go for more.
I've just checked the EMS tracking and its left Japan.
Cobra

Latest posts

Back