Orville By Gibson pickup question?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPCarpenter

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what kind of pickups these are and how they sound? I've never seen Gibson pickups with a circuit board on the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140093878841&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

they were bill lawrence designed when he worked at Gibson, they were only put in for about a year beween the pat no and the 57 classic periods..circa 90/91...

they sound ok.

guys

staying on the topic of pickups. Some Orville guitars seem to have double-cream colored pickups. Could these be Dimarzio's? I thought Dimarzio had the double-cream color scheme patented...

thanks.

villager said:
i dont think the japanese bothered to much about US patent infringement...
you might be correct on that. i mean they only copied fenders and gibsons, till the lawsuit threats were too much. a good f@#k you, to the big american companies i think.

big-ace said:
villager said:
i dont think the japanese bothered to much about US patent infringement...
you might be correct on that. i mean they only copied fenders and gibsons, till the lawsuit threats were too much. a good f@#k you, to the big american companies i think.

ONly Fender and Gibson?

What about Gretsch, Ampeg, Rickenbacker,etc..., etc...

At first was mostly because the japanese customers couldn't afford the american models, a work of love in a way. Those models were made for the japanese customers ONLY. SOme companies started to ask the japanese factories to work for them. Now some americans collect those japanese market replicas...
There's as much links with actual Gibsons and 50's Gibsons than with Tokai gibson copies and 50's Gibsons ( different company, different factory, different people). It's just businessmen protecting a trade mark.Let's not forget that by the start of the 80's Ibanez was making original models. Those models changed the guitar market and made fender and Gibson look old. The japanese makers still improve and create new models every years. The american makers live on their history.

this site definitely has a better vibe than the USA Les Paul forum site. no arrogent 'USA is the best' going on ( no offence to any American friends out there reading)

big-ace said:
this site definitely has a better vibe than the USA Les Paul forum site. no arrogent 'USA is the best' going on ( no offence to any American friends out there reading)
No offense taken! My experience is that when it comes to guitars, even though I've got quite a few Americans, 'USA is the best' hasn't been necessarily so for awhile now....

keeping the thread alive....

Do ObG Les Paul Juniors have any markings on the back of its p90 that say Gibson, or Japan, or Gotoh, or anything?

i'm thinking of buying a ObG P90 on ebay but I don't know what it is for sure...

just to double check with you guys

read on...

-----------

Question for item #130098126887 - ORVILLE by GIBSON STOCK P-90(BRIDGE)PICK-UP JR JUNIOR

Hello Inny,

Thank you for your interest.

As far as markings-because this is the very rare EARLY version(sounds
better than the later ones due to better material,etc)-it does not have any
markings,but this came out of a "Orville By Gibson" Les Paul JR guitar.

Please dont worry-check my EXCELLENT feedback.

You will not be disappointed! This P-90 sounds INCREDIBLE...

And the price-VERY REASONABLE.Even new pick-ups cost $100.00 or more!

Thank you.

Mathew

All the Orville pickups I've seen including my own have no markings on the back of the pickups at all.
All the OBG pickups I've seen have markings or a circuit on the back.
But I've only seen humbuckers and not P-90's.
The bridges etc that I've seen from OBG's and Orvilles have Gotoh on them so I assume the unmarked Orville pickups are Gotoh's with no markings on them and I've also read that they are Gotoh's on Japanese bbs's.

20 century boy said:
the ebay pick up is an Orville one if I remember well. NOt "Orville by Gibson".

oh wow... is that so???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130098126887&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D130098126887%26fvi%3D1

the above is a link to the item... hopefully he's not changed the name of the item to ObG?

I remember seeing a few ObG juniors on this board... help please!!!

thanx a lot guys.

OK ObG then. But that seller sold an Orville LP Jr a few weeks ago and it was sold as an Orville by Gibson so...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORVILLE-by-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JR-JUNIOR-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ130092905067QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For him it makes no differences. :)

20 century boy said:
OK ObG then. But that seller sold an Orville LP Jr a few weeks ago and it was sold as an Orville by Gibson so...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORVILLE-by-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JR-JUNIOR-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ130092905067QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For him it makes no differences. :)

lol haha well there's that one solved. thanks a lot.

shout out to everyone to to be careful, huh?

i guess some people don't know the difference between O and ObG.

I've got four OBG Orville by Gibson LP JRs. They all sound great but I've never bothered to see what the pickups were.

06.jpg

02a.jpg

01a.jpg

I'll try to remember to take a look.

Innadaze said:
I've got four OBG Orville by Gibson LP JRs. They all sound great but I've never bothered to see what the pickups were.

I'll try to remember to take a look.

haha yes.... u and ur OBGs....

dont worry though, i think i'll just go buy a SD Antiquite or a real vintage gibson p90 since i like the worn out look! :p

I wouldn't bother with an Antiquity if I were you. Sound warm but dull IMO. They do look cool though

Latest posts

Back