Good Burny?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmish

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170091223914&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I bought it, hope it's as good as it looks.

well if you have bought it already i hope it is all you are looking forward to. just a bit unusual to find a 20+ year old guitar with virually no fretware, so that may account for the higher price. hope it is a great guitar for you. ebay descriptions can be a bit misleading at times. i bought a Greco Les Paul custom recently with 70-80% fretlife left, but in reality it needed a fret leveling/dressing really bad. after the dressing a very nice guitar, but not the fretlife i was expecting. that is the risk of ebay though, you take the good with the bad.

I was looking at the guitar to, but I?m not sure that it really is a old Burny.
To me it looks like a mid 1990 Burny with an old truss rod cover.
Try to look in the pickup cavities for serial nr. If there is any then it is a mid 90?s, If the pickup wire is gray and the high adjustmed screw is not the slotted type, then again very late 80?s to mid 90?s.

i would like to know if it has the binding over the fret ends, or if it has been refretted and the frets just dont go all the way over the edge of the fretboard/binding. hard to tell from the pics. as for the serial no, i have a Burny LP Custom with a serial no. in the bridge pup cavity, and i believe this guitar is an 86 model going by the serial no. and hardware on it.

burny123 said:
I was looking at the guitar to, but I?m not sure that it really is a old Burny.
To me it looks like a mid 1990 Burny with an old truss rod cover.
Try to look in the pickup cavities for serial nr. If there is any then it is a mid 90?s, If the pickup wire is gray and the high adjustmed screw is not the slotted type, then again very late 80?s to mid 90?s.

thats why i didnt bid ...

if it is early its an unusual top on it..

Thanks for the info guys. I will take a look under the hood when it arrives. I seen this one at the last moment, so didn't have time to ask seller any questions. What made me think it was an early eighties was the weight of it, and the fact that the seller seems to get pretty good reviews on selling what he is claiming to sell. Although he didn't claim this was an early eighties, he did claim it was 80's. So, hmm, makes for an interesting wait I guess.

that looks exactly like the one that Joy Farm had on Digimart for months; Joy Farm being another one of the nice Japanese shops that reply with the patent response, " we do not deal or sale outside of Japan."

JoyFarm.jpg

I've purchased from Hiro aka japanoldguitar before; my latest being the recent ES-120 purchase

Let us know how you like the Burny when you have a chance

Does anybody know when they switched to the grey wire type VH-1s? Was that before the trussrod cover changed (which was likely in 1989 as I read in another thread here), at the same time or later?
Are there any Burny/Fernandes catalogs from the late 80ies/early 90ies available online somewhere?

> i would like to know if it has the binding over the fret ends<
See 4th photo; looks like fret edge binding there

>If the pickup wire is gray and the high adjustmed screw is not the slotted type<
The pickup height adjust have slotted screws

It looks like a 3 piece back, probably does not have the neck heel scarf like the cherry color ones have, likely has the gray wire pups, neck length tenon, & no serial number

MIJvintage said:
It looks like a 3 piece back, probably does not have the neck heel scarf like the cherry color ones have, likely has the gray wire pups, neck length tenon, & no serial number

Which would make it from what era, in your estimation?

From what I have noticed:

Vh1 starts in 1983 with grey wire. all models got Vh1?s then.

Between 1983-87 a change to black wire, and then around 1988-90 grey wire again up till 1995, where production in Japan stopped. Now a days Fernandes still claims, that the pickups in new Burnys are VH1?s, but I don?t know the colour of the wire, and I don?t know if it is the same pickup, as the old ones.

A 3 piece back and no heel cap Hmmm, grey wire !

I have got a Burny like that, and i know it is from 1994. Serial nr. 48xxxxx and RLG 70. This one had fret binding, and a cherry finished back. I have another, but with the natural mahogany colour back, still 3 pieces, no heel cap, grey wire, but no fretbinding, and I know from the papers that followed it, that it is from 1995 with serial nr. 56xxxxx. RLG 75

OK, it came today (with a $46 custom fee I was not expecting). So, here is the deal, you guys called it. Grey wire. Also, it is fret edge bound, and there is not a serial number in the pickup cavity. Also, there are no markings on the pickups (are there supposed to be?) As expected, no long tenon. The thing sounds great though and is in very good condition. Anyone want to guess the model #? RLG 75 burny123?

B

Congrats ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a really nice guitar, beautiful flame ... enjoy playing her !!! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

Glad to hear the RLG arrived safe & sound

Yeah, those U.S. Customs A$ZHOLES have pegged me on about my last half dozen imports; they NEVER used to charge a Custom's duty, never. They've been pegging me for 5% to 8%. I suppose Bush has so bankrupted the Treasurey that even the little guys like US are gonna get the shaft, every time from now on. Thanks a lot George, you shizzle for brains.............OK, enough of my anti Bush, Boston Tea Party rant..................

Heel cap or not? I said likely not before but that is for plain tops; flame tops usually have the heel cap, even the natural finished back ones.

RLG-70, until I hear incoming....................................... :eek:

Enjoy those VH-1s................... :)

MIJvintage said:
B, that's $896 with shipping & the screwing from U.S. Customs, ouch :(

I guess I don't really know what a heel cap is. Lol, I guess I would say it doesn't have one then, in that case. So, then,

No heel cap
Grey wire
Slotted pick-up screws
Fret edge binding
No serial #
No sticker on pick-up
No long tennon
Bell shaped truss rod cover (is this replacement probably?)
3 pc. back

Yea, the customs and shipping really make the cost shoot up. Arg. If you can get me one for $600 I'll probably take it. Lol, you know how I like to buy things in pairs.

btmish said:
I guess I don't really know what a heel cap is. Lol, I guess I would say it doesn't have one then, in that case. So, then,

Yea, the customs and shipping really make the cost shoot up. Arg. If you can get me one for $600 I'll probably take it. Lol, you know how I like to buy things in pairs.

Look at the neck heel. Look to see if there is a smaller piece of mahogany at the very bottom of the neck heel; the thickness, top to bottom. If it has one, the grain should look different, possibly showing a join.

Here's a LP neck heel with NO cap; see that the bottom of the heel has the same grain as the neck = no join = no heel cap
CAPNo.jpg

Here's a LP neck heel WITH A CAP; see the area around the mid area of the flash? You can see that there is some grain difference = there is a join here = heel cap.
CapYES.jpg

Manufacturing a neck with a heel cap allows the manufacturer to utilize a smaller thickness of lumber for the neck, therefore saving money on board feet of lumber.

Some guitars makers do the same thing at the head stock end; it's called a scarf joint. It's the some idea though, as it saves on linear thickness = saves on board foot lumber costs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pairs, yes you have a good eye for Bacchus BST models :)

I usually purchase in pairs from Japan, as it cost nearly as much to ship one guitar as it cost to ship two. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I get two shipped together for $140. :)

Latest posts

Back