What do you think on the eBay Burny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my very first go at getting Guitar from eBay. What do you think? Please don't hold back!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Burny-By-Fernandes-Made-In-Japan-LP-Custom-In-Black-VH1_W0QQitemZ200082241352QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Sam

Hey Dee, he is a good seller ,the only thing i would be concerned about is the shipping, that is very expensive.
I have noticed some japan dealers ship to aus for as low as $80.00 us and this is with EMS and they are a very good shipping coumpany. :D

Dee said:
Hi all,

This is my very first go at getting Guitar from eBay. What do you think? Please don't hold back!!!
Hi there,

i have a Burny Super Grade Les Paul Standard Copy with the same trussrod cover, what indicates the same area (late 80s/early 90s).
My Burny is a superb instrument; long neck tenon, great pickups, fretedge binding, good hardware, a FAT maple top.
Soundwise i think my Burny can compete with better japanese Tokais (LS80/LS120). I think my Burny sounds equal well or even better than some recent Gibson Les aul Standards/Classics.

I could imagine the Burny you linked is aswell a superior instrument, for a rather fair price.
I can't grant you that this Burny is a great instrument, but i estimate the probability is rather high that this offer is a good deal.
I myself was thinking 'bout to buy it, but i have too many guitars and too little musical skills for an other high class instrument.

CYah
Burny

it looks like a fine example, although I prefer the earlier ones with the correct 5 piece diamond head stock inlay

as far as shipping costs go; it varies depending on which country it is sent from

I cannot ship to Australia from the US because it is too cost prohibitive. To ship the same item from the US to Australia would be a minimum double the price, up to three times

Dee said:
Hi all,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Burny-By-Fernandes-Made-In-Japan-LP-Custom-In-Black-VH1_W0QQitemZ200082241352QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Sam

Did you win it?

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support. Ok, a bit of long story here. By the time I got 'heads-up' from leadguitar_323, the item was near the end of auction. No sale! It appears the same guitar was listed again as eBay item 200085612327.

As per wise suggestions, I requested for photos of neck pup cavity to verify long tenon and cap/top status (ie. solid or veneer). Also close-up of neck for status of fret binding. As well as 'MIJ' decals that ought to be stamped on bridge and tail piece.

The seller is very good. He explained that he's in US and his partner is in Japan. Also that his partner doesn't do any inspections. Whilst he can get the guitar to US and do all the photography, the price of the guitar will go up by at least $100 USD.

Currently, I'm very much set on this guitar although I haven't been able to get verification photos. It's probably the best one around for the budget I have. Since the auction is listed as 'pay immediate', I'm trying to transfer money in to my paypal credit card and it's proving to be a real exercise.

Will keep you posted. Cheers Sam

Hi Sam,

A friend of mine got one very similar at Tym's in Brisbane for around $800AU. I would say it was mid to late 80's. This one also had the pickup covers which I see yours doesn't. Great Axe!
Give Tim a call and he will keep an eye out for particular models for you. :wink:
Good luck!

Dee said:
Hi All,

As per wise suggestions, I requested for photos of neck pup cavity to verify long tenon and cap/top status (ie. solid or veneer). Also close-up of neck for status of fret binding. As well as 'MIJ' decals that ought to be stamped on bridge and tail piece.

The seller is very good. He explained that he's in US and his partner is in Japan. Also that his partner doesn't do any inspections. Whilst he can get the guitar to US and do all the photography, the price of the guitar will go up by at least $100 USD.

A seller wants to charge a potential buyer an extra $100 to obtain photos for a listed item?

What a load of BS.................

I guarantee if I ever have a guitar for sell no one will ever pay extra for photo requests

That guy is full of &#^@................

Hi All,

Thanks for input members. That Burny on eBay '200085612327' was bought by a buyer in US this morning. It does appear he may have been quite happy to buy it with info available on the eBay.

Probably I'm a bit too cautious or should I say wary. Anyhow, good luck to him. More than likely everything is the way it should be. I just wanted to see it for myself.

Thanks Benny for the info on eBay item '120094897639'. I probably will p1ss him off as well by asking for photos. Oh well, good luck to buyers that are less demanding. Will keep hunting and I'm sure perseverance will payoff.

Yes, I was warned about the frustrations of buying guitars from eBay. Thanks for that advise Mick.

Cheers SAM

Chuckracer said:
These guys are doing everything they can to keep prices down. Compare their inventory with everybody else doing this.

I like a good joke to strat the day! :p These guys are not selling to make money but to satisfy the customers?

Mates from Tokai Registry Land,

Thanks for your support and advise over the duration of this thread. Though I'm not sure what "Chuckracer" post reply means. Anyhow, finally found and bought Burny Custom Lester Black Beauty. Funnily there were 2 very similar guitars where on sale at the same time. I opted for the one from Oz. Closer to home and all that!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220088917736&rd=1&rd=1

Really happy with the guitar. Been playing non stop since I got it. Hence the missing in action from forum. Although it doesn't make me any where near expert but I did do heaps of research on "the very first Les Paul Custom Black Beauty circa 1957 model" and "Burny version from early to mid 80's". Please PM me if you are interested in the original specs and things I asked from the sellers.

Cheers Sam

Nice one Sam :D
Looks like it is in great condition.

How's the mahogany cap sound compared to a maple one?

Does anyone know when or what models Burny were putting the mahogany cap on? I'm looking around for (but not quite ready to buy) a white Burny LPC and would probably prefer the maple.

Also does anyone know about Burny LPC headstock inlays throughout the 80's? There seems to be a few different variations of the split diamond.
Thanks!

Hi Dee, You have got one of the nice ones !!

A RLC 60 from 84/85 with VH4 pickups !!

I do think, that the change to maple tops happened in 1988, when the truss rod cover and the diamond inlay was changed

I have the exact same guitar. She's awesome but I'll be upgrading the pots, caps & wiring soon. I gather yours already had that done for her. Sweet!

Thanks for kind words :) I'm real happy with the guitar. Once I've saved up enough, will be looking for another MIJ vintage lester with maple cap.

OK a bit of show and tell time!!! Hope I don't get flamed for this!!! Ridgy didge LPC Black Beauty from big G made in 1957 had mahogany back, neck and cap/front. Finger board was ebony. LP standards in those days were mahogany back & neck. Maple cap/front & rosewood fingerboard. Not sure wether the pups were different between custom and standard. Oh yeah, customs supposedly only come in solid colours (no sunburst). Anyhow, I don't think I can ever afford one of these originals unless I win a lottery. Although I did come across an online shop (non-ebay) selling 1957 LPC for $6K USD. Hell my current car worth less than that :-(

Benny,

Not sure about the comparison sound between mahogany cap and maple cap. This is my first and only lester. One thing for sure though, it creams all over my other guitar (ie. Ibanez '83 strat) on classic rock/hard rock songs. The strat is good on metal stuff from mid to late 80's and AOR/ poppy stuff. A guitar player I started jamming with recently has 50th anniversary strat. The real thing from big F!!! costed him well over $3K AUD. He's now talking about getting MIJ lester.

Burny123 is absolutely correct with struss rod cover and diamond shape changes in late 80's. Supposedly to avoid looking 'identical' to the big G. Also Burny LPC's finger boards are ebonized rosewood. I think ebonised means 'to darken'. According to reviews on various websites, rosewood finger boards gives warmer sound than ebony finger boards. Also maple cap suppose to have brighter sound than mahogany cap. I wish I had enough money to buy all combinations.

Burny123,

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think even the seller knew the model of this lester. OK, it's RLC 60 from 84/85 with VH4 pickups!!! One hears about the VH1's all the time. What is the difference between VH1 & VH4? Can you please give me a bit more info on this.

Guitargoblin,

Yep, can't agree with you more. It got balls bigger than coconuts ;-) I seldom use neck pup for solos on my strat. With this lester I can't stay away from the front pup with tone control rolled back. man, I should have got hold of these beauties years ago. Yep I blame it on 80's influence.

No I haven't even re-string the lester, let alone changing the electrics. She plays great as it is. Do you have plan in mind on what new gear you are putting in. I be real interested to hear. Keep us posted.

Sorry for long winded post Sam

Hi again

In 1985 the RLC 60 and RLG 50 and had VH 4 pickups
RLG 60 and RLG 90 had VH 2?s
and only RLG 120 and 150 had VH1?s. The VH1?s are very god copies of old PAF?s handwound etc. resistance around 7.4-7,.8 Ohms like old Gibson PAF?s. VH 2?s are like later Gibsons and with plastic wire, VH 4?s are a little hotter 8.2 -8.6 Ohms and with black/grey plastic wire

In 1983-85 one Vh1?s was 12.000 yen, very expensive !!

Latest posts

Back