Urgent help needed on Edwards E-LS-85LT

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewey decibel

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I'm very close to ordering a new Edwards LP Special replica through Ishibashi but I have an issue, I really need a lightweight one. It seems through searching online that most of them are light, and if I got one that was 3 kg (6.5lbs) or even less I'd be happy.

Anyway, I emailed Ishibashi asking if they could pick out a light one for me, and they replied (very nicely BTW) that they get their guitars direct from ESP, and while they can ask for a light one they may or may not recieve one. But then they also told me that 3 kgs is impossible, they range from 3.8 to 4.5kgs with the average being about 4. This is really confusing to me, as that's much heavier than I've read elsewhere on the net- I think maybe they're talking about a Les Paul standard version? I think she misread it as E-LP-85LT.

So, if you guys that have one could tell me they approximate weights of your guitars and reassure me it would be greatly appreciated. I need a new guitar by the end of next week, and was planning on ordering this on Monday. If not I may just go for a new Gibson SG Classic, which I know is super lightweight- and also seems to have a thicker neck than the Edwards LP Special, which is a plus for me. But I'm really not a fan of the current Gibson company and would rather have the Edwards....

Hi there, first post for me too.
And I also was thinking to get an Edwards. In the early I was thinking to an Epiphone, then to a good japanese copy as Tokay, Greco or Burny. Soon after that I saw some great Edwards so I'm planning to get one thru Ishibashi. I'm not really concerned about weight but I'd like a real flamed one. The problem I don't know anything about it. I don't know if they're made in Japan or Korea, if their top are solid, multi layer, fotoflamed, and so on. Does anybody know anything about them?

Bttt- come on you guys, reassure me that if I order an Edwards LP Special it's going to be lightweight! :eek:

The problem I don't know anything about it. I don't know if they're made in Japan or Korea, if their top are solid, multi layer, fotoflamed, and so on. Does anybody know anything about them?

They're made in Japan, and are a sub of ESP. As for the top, I think it depends on the model. The Jimmy Page one I believe has a thick maple cap. I had the opportunity to try a lower end Edwards LP in a store (don't recall the model #) and it had a little bit of depth or 3D to the flame -it definitely wasn't a photo-flame, but if it was a cap or veneer I couldn't tell you. I'm sure if you do a search of this forum you'll find all the answers you need.

mine look like this...I think it`s the first one I bought from the first year...2 piece back...have another thats one piece.

DSCN1376.jpg

you can see the deep neck joint in this pic.

DSCN1378.jpg

I have 2 Fender Lead I guitars and one is made from alder and light as a feather and the other is made from ash and is so heavy that it's just about impossible to play it standing up for more than one song without having back muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
But all the Edwards Les Paul types should be made from the same sort of wood and their weight shoudn't vary that much so I don't know how you can get a really light one unless you can get Ishibashi to weigh each one.

neither of mine weigh as much as my Gibson LP standard did. My white `62 type Edwards strat from the Duncan series weighs more than any of my other strats. I`ve had sen guitats that were light and others that were heavy, guess theres a range in weight to every kind of wood...except balsa maybe, but I heard it doesn`t make good guitars.

I have an Edwards Junior (E-JR-95LT/RE) and it's the lightest guitar I think I've ever played. I haven't weighed it, but I'd say it's no more than 3 kg. Go for the Edwards special (but plan/budget for a pots & caps upgrade)!

My Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul is the lightest Les Paul I have ever played. It comes in at 7 lbs even.............my Tokai Reborn is 9 lbs 4oz.

The Edwards is not chambered (had it x rayed at the airport for an out of town gig) and it is incredibly resonant unplugged. Very comfortable to play.

I dont really mind about the weight, I'm more inclined to care about flames 8)
Anyways I've got the answer from Ishibashi, the guy said they finished the actual stock and are waiting for a new one by the end of March. Can't wait 'til then.

I've an Edwards Jimmy Page relic w/coil tapping just as Marcus. Mine is exactly 3kgs (6 lbs. 6 oz.). BTW, i take my guitars to be weighed at the post office where their scales are very accurate (they self-correct themselves frequently).

As Marcus has attested, this particular Edwards smokes.

As a comparison, my Tokai LS145S (gold top w/P90s) weighs 8 lbs. 11ozs (@ 3.95 kgs.).

Thanks for all the replies!

One of my problems was I didn't know weights- I knew what I wanted the guitar to feel like, but I couldn't put numbers to that. I went guitar shopping and found some Fender Custom Shop stuff that the sales guy could tell me the weight on, and I realized anything around 7 lbs would be fine -I didn't need to go as light as 6.5 lbs. Thanks guys!

dewey decibel said:
Hey guys, first post here. I'm very close to ordering a new Edwards LP Special replica through Ishibashi but I have an issue, I really need a lightweight one. It seems through searching online that most of them are light, and if I got one that was 3 kg (6.5lbs) or even less I'd be happy

You might want to rethink that a bit.. a Les Paul with a 6.5 lb. body or less is going to sound kind of puny and will lack "b@lls" and low end response. I had a 7 lb. Greco awhile back and it was one of the worst of the dozen of so I've owned tone wise. It just did not have that chunk. Any where from 8 to 9 lbs seems to be the sweet spot. One the other hand some of the heavier ones that weigh in at 10 lbs or more sound very tight and compressed also. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back