Mint Collection help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadguitar_323

Reaction score
Hey guys, i,ve found a 1983 mint collection guitar and i am having trouble identifying it. It has long neck tennon and fret edge binding but it has 1982 screamin pickups ??. Any ideas, what model EGC grecos had fret edge binding ?? thanks Mick

I've occasionally seen some 82-83 models with fret edge binding with those Screamin 82 pickups. The Screamin's seemed to be stock on the EG59-45/50/60 models. Above that you get into the Dry and Double Trick pickups. Fret edge binding on the lower priced models seems to be a holdover from the Super Real era, but thats just a theory. I've owned a number of these, but plenty of guys on this forum have way more knowledge than me.

exactly as fiftywatt says ..the early mint collection used old superreal necks, so a few have fret binding..not many though...later mint collection(when the old superreal necks ran out) only the EG59-120 and above have fret binding..

poly finish up to EG59-70.... EG59-85 and higher are nitro...EG59-85 had double tricks and above had dry1982

hey villager, does that include the LP custom grecos as well?? the one i'm looking at is a cream greco custom, long neck tennon shielded wiring and fret binding, one pup is a screamin 82 and an unknown pickup in the bridge,i think these may have been changed. hard to identify this one??
Oh and it is a 1983 model :D

villager said:
exactly as fiftywatt says ..the early mint collection used old superreal necks, so a few have fret binding..not many though...later mint collection(when the old superreal necks ran out) only the EG59-120 and above have fret binding..

poly finish up to EG59-70.... EG59-85 and higher are nitro...EG59-85 had double tricks and above had dry1982

Here's an example of Villager's above point. An early Mint Collection EG59-50, which still has "Super Real" on the headstock along with the Mint Collection style Greco "cut o" logo. I've seen very few of these,
but the earliest Mint Collection catalog I've seen is full of photos of Greco's like the one below.

zattakun11-img432x600-1165662194p2.jpg

This is a Greco EGC68-80 from 1982 that is just like the one on the Mint Collection catalog cover page thats on the "psyco.jp" website. It has fret edge binding and "double trick" pickups.

fiftywatt said:
villager said:

Here's an example of Villager's above point. An early Mint Collection EG59-50, which still has "Super Real" on the headstock along with the Mint Collection style Greco "cut o" logo. I've seen very few of these,
but the earliest Mint Collection catalog I've seen is full of photos of Greco's like the one below.

zattakun11-img432x600-1165662194p2.jpg

I thought those pics looked familiar...the seller lives in the same prefecture as we do, maybe even around the same city but he never answered any of the 3 e-mails my wife sent him. I wanted to go to the shop and look around. He`s had that for sale for some time and if I were looking for another bucker equiped guitar...and I had more room in our place...I`d go for it, even though it ain`t high end like most guys here seem to chase, to me it looks like a nice guitar but I`m still very happy with the last edwards SG custom I got this week anyways. Used to think only the top end MIJs were worth having `till I bought a couple of mid range models...don`t think that anymore. Still...it`s a good thing there aren`t as many buyers driving the prices outrageously high on these lower end guitars which can be little gems in their own right.

Hi lead guitar_323-Yes that 68 replica is mine. I got it off Ebay about a year ago for $600 which I thought was a great deal after I played it. My personal measuring stick to rate this MIJ's has been my '56 Historic and my Historic 355 and a Greco EG59-100? First of all. the neck is a little smaller in girth than a the Historic and for me that's ok. I wasn't satisfied with the double trick pups- They sounded too thin. On Villager's suggestion I installed a pair of Peter Florence Voodoo pups and it turned out to be just what the doctor ordered! Nice thick tone, nice bite without being too harsh. Sounded almost as good as what I now believe is a Greco EG59-100 with unmarked Dry pups.
Villager said it would sound similar and it turns out he was right! Thanks Villager for the great advice!! That's what I love about this forum! The workmanship on this guitar is top notch. One of the thongs I look for is how well the fret edge binding is done because it seems to be one of the things
I always see coming apart on older guitars.Even on some new end Gibsons.
The neck binding on this Black Beauty is superb! The only thing I'm not sure of is if the finish is Nitro or Poly.

Thanx Diland, can you tell me what model the cream customs are{ as in 68?} and what was the top of the range one {EGC 68-100??}
i have an RR 65 and it plays and sounds awesome it has the dry 1982 pickups.

Sorry -can't help you there. One thing to do is to find what kind of Gibson Custom.Randy Rhodes played back then. Go from there.Good luck.

Hi villager ,thanks for the info its not easy to get :eek: lol. Can you tell me did the 68-100 have gold or black volume and tone knobs ?. I still can't find any pics of a 68-100. :D Thats the cream one i'm talking about.

HI Villager, i have this catalogue page but thanks anyway.Is the cream one a 68 like the black one and was there many cream ones made.
i have the RR65 in that catalogue it plays awesome and the dry 1982 pups are sensational.

Latest posts

Back