My new Greco:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanny

Reaction score
Greco1.jpg

Got her last week from villager, excellent service by the way and the waiting was def. worth it. It's a '91 SA-90, not a flametop or birdseye but a little bit of both, very lively. The pictures do not do it justice because the sunburst is a lot more smooth in real life, and it never really gets black, anywhere. Most importantly it sounds and plays great, lovely vintage neck, not too fat, not too slim. Just like a real '64. I might change the pickups though, but I'm not sure about that. any advice on that? I was thinking about antiquities but I'm in no hurry. The ones in now are greco (gotoh?) humbuckers, which I think are a little to harsh, but thats nitpicking really.

That one looks great and when it's from villager, it should be high-end. Can't help you on the pickups, I'm sorry ...

What kind of music do you play? Any problems with feedback with this guitar?

I haven't really gigged it yet, I play anything from blues to jazz to rock to noise rock, so I like a bit of feedback. I think it'll be fairly similar to my thinline tele though (same construction) so feedback would be there but very controllable.

I'll testify to the Seth Lovers. I have a set in my Greco Super Real series ES175 and a set in my Orville 61 SG. Personally, the best pickups I've ever played - after all, it was Seth Lover (born in Kalamazoo Michigan 1910 in what was Gibson country) who basically invented the humbucking pickup and then the PAF pickup for Gibson in 1955.

I just got the neck pickup out, just to see what it looked like from the inside and its definatly a long tenon, it stops 1/2 cm before the end of the cavity (I saw a real '63 and that tenon stopped about halfway in the cavity). My cam's batteries are empty but I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the greco:

GrecoNeck.JPG

and the '63 block neck 335, sadly not mine, from vintageguitarguy's site:

63_es335c_7.jpg

Back