Psychology is a strange thing...Elites vs Edwards!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schocker

Reaction score
I was doing a deal for a mint used Epiphone Elite '63 Dot which looks like it won't go through now and I'm curious as to why I was/am so drawn towards this instrument.

For one thing, the price I was prepared to pay would have got me a new Edwards E-SA-118 LT; okay, no hard case included, but surely a better spec'd guitar, or at least as good, right? So why would I not just buy a new Edwards, savour the Seymour Duncan pickups, the lacquer finish and the "solid hard maple top"?!

I think maybe it's the elusiveness of the Elites, or at any rate the ones with the 'proper' shape headstocks, by which I mean the Gibson-esque version available supposedly only to the Japanese market. Which would be incredibly shallow reasoning on the part of my subconscious, would it not?! I mean, the Edwards has a 'proper' shape headstock anyway!

Or maybe there's a desire for continuity at work...I've had two Elites before, one of which I still own and one I sold. Both were/are great instruments. OR! Maybe, despite my apparent aversion to supporting Gibson, deep down I still yearn for the 'authenticity' of something vaguely related to that much-criticised parent company..?

Yes, I'm over-analysing this but I remain intrigued by the process which controls our desires for things such as guitars.

No doubt the GAS will be steered towards another candidate shortly...

b]Schocker[/b],

Maybe, despite my apparent aversion to supporting Gibson, deep down I still yearn for the 'authenticity' of something vaguely related to that much-criticised parent company..?

Yes, I'm over-analysing this but I remain intrigued by the process which controls our desires for things such as guitars.

I can understand you in all you've mentioned - it's the same with me ...

Since 8 weeks I tried to buy a Gibbo - no response on my emails ... :evil:
... and today I rather did a breathe of relief when I tried an LS135 and found her beautiful - and ordered one !! :lol:

So - you're not alone with your inner problem for deciding you ... I know that so well !! :wink:
As I have no experiences with the Elitists but just the MIK Epi ( terrible guitar, bought it unseen and untouched) - but read alot of the positive feedback to the Elitists - go for her ! :wink:

Roger

BTW - I own an Edwards 90LTS in Tobacco sb - it's an outstanding beauty and sounds simply 'sweet' . :wink:

i had an SA-118 LT and it was a great guitar, it has a chunkier neck than a G!bson 335 and came new with an ESP hardcase.

Awesome guitars, alas i realised i prefer LP's to 335's, so now it has gone to a new home.

Steve

Unfortunately, it transpires the Elitist had been sold. I tried!

The Edwards option may get some more consideration at some point, as I like chunky necks.

Latest posts

Back