Any experience with MIJ SG's?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Jones

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone owns Tokai/Greco/Burny/Edwards SG's and what you think of them. I did a search of the forum on "SG" and didn't find a single post which seems odd. :)

Are there any models with fret-edge binding? Which brands seem to be the best replicas?

Thanks!

Jim

i have a few...fret bound ones are rare ..i have a greco and an orville by gibson with fret binding..but most did not have it ...

see my website for the pics...

www.japanguitars.co.uk

Hello - I've got a MIJ Tokai SG70. It's got the nicest neck I've ever played, a real beauty. I sometimes kick myself for not getting a (Tokai, obviously) Les Paul Jr, because I much prefer singlecoils to hums, but since swapping out the p'ups for GFS Dream 90s, it's just the nicest guitar I've ever had. Mine's got block inlays and a bound neck, but no fret edge binding. A great guitar. Any more questions, I'm happy to help.

A bit off topic but that Orville by Gibson LP Junior TV yellow you have villager has a sticker and a serial number.
Which came first and why aren't they the same.
I'd bet the sticker was first and then they decided to stamp it in an unusual place.
What format is the sticker in? maybe XYYNNN X=ignore YY=year NNN=production number, and what's the T prefix mean?

proflonghair said:
..... Hello - I've got a MIJ Tokai SG70. It's got the nicest neck I've ever played, a real beauty.

proflonghair,
Congrats.

Refer http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3032&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Look for ACYS posting

Jim Jones said:
Any experience with MIJ SG's?
I have two OBG SGs. I love them:

MVC-004F%20copy.JPG

MVC-008F%20copy.JPG

I've never been able to find much info about them but my
experience with the SG's is the same as
all my other Orville by Gibsons....,

Innadaze%20OBGs.jpg

001%20OBGs%20headstocks14.jpg

MVC-012F%20copy.JPG

..they play and sound great and are super guitars--just kinda hard to find.

Hi,

I had an Edwards E-SG-80SD, it was a great guitar, and looked great in white with the zebra SD pickups, but alas i sold it and they don't produce them anymore, i played an Edwards SG-90LT and am less than impressed with them , they feel flimsy and the finish was extremely thin, bu i guess it feels flimsy like a 61 SG which it is modelled off, the finish though making it sound good makes it feel cheap, think G!BSON faded series and you'll be close to the feel.

Getting back to my point if you can find an E-SG-80SD second hand buy it, although poly finished not Laquer i found it to be an excellent guitar and at the price i got mine for i wasn't complaining.

Kinda wish i hadn't sold that one. oh well.

Steve

I have to admit I'm one of the few people who actually like the Gibson faded stuff. :) Granted I wouldn't want to pay as much for a guitar with that "barely there" finish, but still. I think the brown SG's look and feel great. :)

Jim

Thought I would follow on as I just purchased a SG faded. This is what annoys me the most, after purchases a Made in the USA guitar I have to take to a tech to correct the errros. Some of the frets are to and the nut is complete crap and also way to high.

Right now this is not a gig worthy instrument as the G and B strings grab in the nut which causes serious tuning instability - ie it won't stay in tune.

So it will go to the tech then relagated to backup or sold because I just bought a Tokai SG-75!!!!

Ned, give us a review on that tokai will you, I almost bought one to install a full guard with p90's... in the future after buying another love rock I might...

;)

Hey Ned,

That sucks, but sadly is not much of a surprise these days. To be honest I've only played a handful of new Gibsons that I thought were set up nicely. I tried a few faded SG's a couple weeks ago and they all needed work to play "properly" in my opinion. I'd take one and do the tweaks if I could get it for cheap but I sure as hell wouldn't pay full pop for one. :)

Let us know what your SG75 is like - I'm curious!

Jim

Hey Jim,

I understand totally what you mean about the quality of the G!bson product straight out of the box, i have a Firebird Studio model and i purchased it second hand and it still needed a fret dress before i could play it, the fret edges felt like they were cutting my fingers to bits, i also have a Les paul standard and it is great but was pricey and even some of them aren't that great although the frets are usually ok on them, i guess what i'm getting at is that G!bson really neglet the finishing touches on the low end models such as the studio i have so i'd imagine that anything with FADED after it's name probably gets less attention than something with STUDIO at the end of it, it seems the only guitars they will even consider making half decent are STANDARDS or CUSTOMS, personally i'd love an SG Classic, it has binding as well as P90s and ishibashi have one in the UBOX right now!

also i still say if you can find an Edwards E-SG-80SD buy it, mine was a great guitar.

Steve

I?m interested in reading your impressions about Tokai SG-75 Ned.I?m not a SG fan but who knows....

She hasn't gotten here yet.

I'm probably going to return the faded SG today as it's just not gig worthy. The nut is so bad you can't get through 1 song without tuning issues.

Luis- I wasn't an SG fan either until I played a friends. They don't weigh anything and if your playing rock they just sound awesome. Cut through the mix better than anything I've ever played as well. If the neck is anything like my Love Rocks (and I'm expecting it to be) it play fast and easy too.

ned please be sure to write a nice review in the tokai section please...

you sold your love rock already? She was a beauty...

Back