Special runs from Greco, Burny, Fernandes?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of special runs from these (and other) Japanese companies that are in the replica business. I know Tokai does it, because I have a couple of Diodati's, which are made by Tokai to Pete Diodati's specs. But, I'm thinking lately that Tokai may be overloaded or something and the other companies might be known to do it to.

This is just a thought, but it might be cool to design a guitar that has all the features you want and have it built by the best luthiers in Japan. I think we'd have to pull together a group of interested people, though, as a single consumer wouldn't be attractive to them, I think.

Let me know what you think ...

-- Bill

I've seen special runs done for various Japanese music stores (Ikebe, Ishibashi, Big Boss, et cetera) which, while not exactly what you're getting at, is similar in concept. Fender does it here in the US with their "FSR" guitars which usually go to places like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, et cetera. Fender Japan seems to do a lot of unique small run (relatively speaking) models, but I have no idea what their criteria is to do one.

well they used to do it in the 80's..I have greco, and ObG guitars which are part of a run of 50 for japanese music shops ..dont know if they do it now for that small amount in the corporate world we live in there wouldnt be enough profit for a small run like that....

many of the big makers over here do special runs for shops all the time, but I really doubt they`d do it for a group from a web site for a number of reasons ... I do know a company like Deviser...parent to Momose, Bacchus, Riverhead ets...will build a customer a guitar...I recently got a one off Hamiltone clone made for a guy in another prefecture...but he went through a shop and they got their bite. Theres no logo on the headstock but the shops name is written in the neck pocket. You could do the same if you can find a shop that is willing to not only deal with foreigners but willing to ship the guitars overseas to lots of different countries... and it wouldn`t be cheap.
I`m not saying you shouldn`t try, I don`t know everything `n stuff, and maybe someone could try persuading one of the Japanese pets some members here use to purchase off Yahoo Japan to get involved but I doubt any relationship with a gaijin is worth the potential organizational nightmare this could become.
Me...I`ll stick to buying the old MIJs I love so much. Good luck.

Back