Plek

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone here had a guitar "Pleked"?

I have a '79 'Paul I dearly love. Really low action, but still maintaining a bit of "snap". Really fast and comfy. Sadly, it is starting to show the first signs of audible fret wear. Hate the idea of playing it to death, getting it re-fretted, and having the magic be lost.

Soooo, had my local luthier (of 20 years) carefully mearsure the frets, and bought a new LP to have Pleked. The hope is it will come back just like my '79. Will arrive tomorrow at the Plek facility, and be back to me in time for a huge summer end festival event gig.

Fingers crossed! Anyone care to place bets on if I play the new guitar or the '79 (the new one has a nicer top, so cosmetically I want to play it, but performance will be the deciding factor)?

I have a lot of finese in my right hand, and am not a Townsend-eque power chord guy (I do play power chords though), and I really like a low action. I do bend a full minor third often, and value sustain above most all else.

I'll post my outcome (granted, I am at a disadvantage having to ship the guitar, and provide descriptions/explanation/desires via phone and paper) for anyone considering it. I did a search here prior to posting, and found very little talk of Pleking.

Again, anyone have personal experience?

I have no personal experience yet, but my Strat is starting to show some pretty good fret wear and could use a really nice setup. Fortunately a local MD luthier, Phil Jacoby, is an authorized Plek'er so I'll likely take the guitar there when I'm ready to have it worked on. Ironically his shop is in the same neighborhood in Baltimore as an ex-gf's so I've probably walked past it many times. Too bad as I would've liked to have checked it out, but hopefully I'll get to soon. I may go ahead and have my Edwards LP done at the same time too depending on how much it ends up costing.

villager said:
i have 4 plekked guitars...get it done ...its amazing...
lots of posts about it on the les paul forum...
Gibson are now plekking all the new historics...apparantly..

What the price of a plekking job ?

marcusnieman said:
What the price of a plekking job ?

What the hell is plekking?

Well, I am not sure if this is the correct declination ...mybe plek fret dressing is the correct name ?

Plek fret dressing is described here (was also new for me):

http://www.plek.com/index.php?master=FAQ%27s&rubID=19&sprache=

Back