Body Cavity Pictures - Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Hi all.....popped a string and while I was changing them out, I got inside and took internal pictures (descriptions below each):

CIMG0411.jpg

Back side covers are mirror coated on the inside

CIMG0409.jpg

Foam inside cavities

CIMG0406.jpg

CIMG0408.jpg

Pickup selector switch

CIMG0404.jpg

Wow....lots of spaghetti for the super circuit coil splitting pots.

CIMG0418.jpg

Neck pickup cavity - you can see the thickness of the maple top

CIMG0413.jpg

CIMG0416.jpg

Neck pickup cavity

CIMG0432.jpg

CIMG0430.jpg

Long neck tenon

CIMG0426.jpg

Bridge pickup cavity

CIMG0416.jpg

Bridge pickup

Bought it direct from Katana Guitars - he usually sells on ebay. But you could check with most of the usual suspects in Japan (Ishibashi,etc) to see who has one in stock. They're kind of hard to get it seems - be sure you look at a picture of the actual guitar and hold out for one with a nice top - I really lucked out on mine. The flame is superb.

This Jimmy Page Relic comes in two models - one with the "super circuit" coil splitting electronics like mine and one without.

Price on the super circuit model can be anywhere between $900 and $1200 depending on what kind of deal you can strike. Mine was about $1000 bucks plus shipping (about $120).

The non super circuit model is a couple hundred bucks less. For the money, get the coil splitting version - lots of cool tonal possibilites. Great out of phase setting on it.

Marcus,

late reply ... just back from my holidays. 8)

Great pics - long neck tenon, I guess! The thickness of the body and the cap are equal to the Tokais!

Think you've done it right with your baby !!! :lol:

Roger

Hmm....I'll have to look again. I do recall seeing a seam on the other side of that rear p'up cavity - noticable because the grain is mismatched at the join.

Everything I've read and seen indicates that the Page models are solid tops. I've seen photos of the veneer models and the veneer is thick enough that you can see the horizontal lamination seam. My doesn't have that.

Just love this guitar....I've gotten so many compliments on the tone of it. I've played it continuously since I got her a month or so ago.

villager,

look at the Edwards photos of my album and compare ...

You can see the seam very clearly ... but you see nothing else but a maple top on the Page relic. 8)

Roger

no no you misunderstand me ...of course i see the seam on the top, but i dont see it continuing into the PU cavity, i see solid wood, which suggests its a venner with the maple underneath, not being centre matched...if its solid, the seam on the top and in the cavity line up perfectly, obviously as its one piece of wood..if its a veneer then there will either be no centre cavity seam, because its not a centre seam maple cap under the veneer, or if they have gone to the trouble to use a centered seam under the veneer, it will rarely match perfectly with the seam on the veneer top...

Nice pics, Marcus! My Page model looks exactly like that in the cavities as well (as far as the top goes; mine has standard wiring though). The actual maple top is every bit as thick as a "real" LP and it's tough to even make out where the veneer is attached. I took a bunch of pics of the cavities on my Page, but I just couldn't get a clear pic to save my life.

Without starting a huge debate, did it ever get confirmed whether any of the Edwards Jimmy page Models have solid (non-laminated) figured maple tops ? As all the ones I have seen advertised by mijsixstringskatana etc quote that they are thin laminate on solid maple. If so, what model or year should I be looking for ? Thanks in advance.

I think it's a maple cap with a flamed veneer. In the one pic of mine showing the bridge, the center seam of the top doesn't match up with the cap - the cap's wood grain is still flowing in the same direction below the top seam.

If it were a solid, two piece top, that seam would extend all the way thru the top and the grain would probably be oriented differently between the two pieces - like the flame orientation on the top where the seam is.

As for what year to look for, I don't think it matters. But I do know that the earlier ones were much lighter (7.25 to 7.5 lbs) than the current stock. The last one I saw that Katana had was over 8 lbs - still not bad for a Les Paul but mine at 7.25 lbs feels like balsa wood compared to my 10 lb Tokai Reborn.

Back