Just got a black Edwards Custom w/ p90s (via Ishibashi)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
I'll post pictures soon...
How DO they do it????? :eek:
I mean, it's light (8.1 lbs) resonant and the finish is amazing.

If you're on the fence, jump off on the Edwards side. You
won't be disappointed. 8)

-- Ace

My Edwards E-LP-90LTS/Lemon Drop arrived today, and I concur with your assessment of this line of instruments. I have never been impressed with a veneered top until today. Unlike most of the budget Les Paul copies, the veneer used on the Edwards is thick enough that the curl is three-dimensional.

Ok, here are the pics...

I don't usually like customs, but there was something charming and 'old school' about the P90s on the black that I liked.

It sounds really nice both clean and with some moderate distortion. THe frets are kind of tall, but I'm getting used to them ... I guess that's a vintage thing.

-- Bill

That looks pretty sharp. When someone first pointed out Edwards that caught my eye, there's something about the black on black that looks sharp. Customs are definatly a somewhat aquired taste which I'm not sure I have, except this one!!

I may be dating myself, but the "humbucker" version of the "Black Beauty" was the guitar to own when "Frampton Comes Alive" was released. :)

Marvelous guitar - enjoy it. I'm totally sold on the quality of the Edwards guitars.

Yeah, the black customs in 75 or 76 were the "it" guitar thanks to Peter Frampton but the three p'up model he had was impossible to find. Ah, the olden days....when Gibson guitars were actually affordable. :(

Which Gibbo model are this Edwards and the same model with Humbuckewrs replicating? It seems a sort of '68?

Thanks guys (snake and marcusnieman)! It does look cool.

I can't seem to put it down! :lol:
The P90's are really cool. I usually play with a little distortion (Classic 30, pre 5, post 4) and roll the vol pot down to 8 or so. It's such a sweet, tight, smooth sound and I love it.

On the clean channel it rings like a bell.

I also have an Edwards QuiltTop w/ SD humbuckers in it which sounds great, but this may have it beat for overall tone.

I haven't looked inside to see how long the tenon is, but I'm betting it's at least medium.

How long do you think it will take for the white binding to age? And what do you think about a white pickguard -- would that ruin the look?

Thanks! Bill

Hi Bill,

Congrats to your new beauty!!! :lol:

I acquire a taste for that P90s ... thought about that not very often until now ... :-?

Roger

PS. Give the hardware the chance to age gracefully ... :wink:

How long do you think it will take for the white binding to age? And what do you think about a white pickguard -- would that ruin the look?

If you play in smoky bars, play her alot and leave her out of the case around the house, it won't take long for the binding to yellow - it all depends. Keep her wiped down and locked up, the process will take longer.

As for the white pickguard, I really dig the black on black look of her - personally, I'd take the pickguard off completely - but that's my preference with my Les Pauls because I have a tendency to latch on to the bridge pickup mounting ring with my fingers when I'm picking single strings during a solo - the pickguard gets in the way.

Lovely guitar.....enjoy! :wink:

Where can you smoke nowadays without being punished - open airs ?? :roll:

I guess, "open air" will be also defined by the detractors of smoking in the future ... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Roger

Oh, you'd be surprised.

Some of the last bastions of the roadhouse blues bars still remain here in Dallas - replete with leaky ceilings during thunderstorms, bathrooms that work occaisionally and piss poor air conditioning and open smoking with your food. Marvelous.....like taking your lungs to Disneyland if you're a smoker.

I quit smoking about six years and after playing a four hour gig at The Hole in The Wall (yes, that's the name), I feel like I've smoked a pack of Marlboro reds like in the olden days. When I get home, I reek like cigarettes as does my guitar after I take it out of the case or gig bag. A wipe down with a damp white cloth (I mean my guitar) comes back tea colored......anyone want a guitar relic'd? Ironically, they have the best hamburgers and fries in town (chips for you cats across the pond) :wink:

That edwards looks great ! I am about to be in the market soon and after what you posted I just might order one with P-90s.

Marcusnieman- You forgot to mention Lotas Goat, Texas Trap and The Winedale. All smoker and blues friendly - I am a former smoker too.
I second Hole in the Wall - best burgers in Dallas

actually...there are parts of Tokyo where there is no smoking on the street, but they have " smoking rooms " where folks can stop in to light up.
They are signs all over this city warning smokers to be careful not to burn others while walking with lit cigarettes. Saw this week that Japan Tobacco intends to cut production by 30%.
I can`t take the smoke as much as I used to be able to these days...couple of hours and I have to get out now... must be gettin` wiser in my old age `n stuff.

Now that I quit I can`t handle the smoke any more either. I quit cigarettes 9 years ago- cigars 2 years ago. When I look at used music equipment now I sniff it to see if it smells like smoke.

Latest posts

Back