is this orville or gibson?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoptangerine

Reaction score
New to the whole japanese les paul thing, but luckily there is a wealth of info on here....but there is an ebay auction for an orville, but it says gibson on it.
I thought the orvilles either said ORVILLE or ORVILLE BY GIBSON?

SO what gives?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orville-Les-Paul-Flametop_W0QQitemZ170006977977QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:102

I have been wanting a real les paul for a long time, just found out about these orville, grecos, etc....

I am just about over having to know all the differences and just go blow my wad on a real les paul! haha

Similar to you I thought a "real les paul" meant a gibson up until a few weeks ago.

Ive played a few GLP's in my time and it was my dream guitar, been promising myself one of them for the last 10 years..... until I played my first tokai from 1980's, then a new one about a week ago, followed by a Burny. All in my opinion were at least as good as the GLP's

Even if the Japanese stuff is just as good as a GLP, and there are many including myself who would say that they are better, you could have 2 or possibly 3 for the price of a single GLP.

no brainer in my book!! just go and get yourself a Japanese made LP and you wont be disappointed.

declan said:
Similar to you I thought a "real les paul" meant a gibson up until a few weeks ago.

Ive played a few GLP's in my time and it was my dream guitar, been promising myself one of them for the last 10 years..... until I played my first tokai from 1980's, then a new one about a week ago, followed by a Burny. All in my opinion were at least as good as the GLP's

Even if the Japanese stuff is just as good as a GLP, and there are many including myself who would say that they are better, you could have 2 or possibly 3 for the price of a single GLP.

no brainer in my book!! just go and get yourself a Japanese made LP and you wont be disappointed.

I am trying, but the ebay guys want too much money now for them it seems and I can find only one local....a 79' greco lp custom, but he wants a pretty penny too.

shoptangerine said:
I have been wanting a real les paul for a long time, just found out about these orville, grecos, etc....

I am just about over having to know all the differences and just go blow my wad on a real les paul! haha

I had a couple of Gibs years ago. A LP Deluxe, a Studio, a Standard and a Custom Shop with Kahler Trem in an awful yellow :oops:

Over the years I found that there is a lot of Producers as Tokai, Heritage, Burny and Edwards that offer a lot more value. Sold my Gibs, now have some Japs and a Heritage .. feels better. :D

Ask seller if this is a veneer flame top!

shoptangerine, if you are not ready to pay the price maybe you'd better find something cheaper to play with. Good guitars are seldom cheap. No pain, no gain. 8)

FOR 1ST TIME JAPANESE GUITAR BUYERS.....

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING...DO SOME RESEARCH...

not all japanese guitars are high quality replica's of Gibbo 59's ..you HAVE to go for the higher spec (usually but not always related to the model number,) if you want something that sounds as good as a gibson LP

If its low low priced then it WILL be a lesser model, with lower specs... simple as that

Villager I know you have a lot of experience with the older models and im going to ask your opinion or any of the other more experienced forum members on this.

When you say go for the higher models to get gibson quality I assume you mean if you want something close to the 59's in terms of tone/build quality.

The Japanese models I have played were a tokai LS 90 an early 80's Love rock and a yet to be confirmed Burny RLG 75 (not the highest spec Japanese models) and in my opinion they were all as good and better than any of the Gibson LP standards from the 80's & 90's, ... I dont expect to ever have the opportunity of playing a Gibson 59 LP

ok what i meant is the higher japanese models are close to gibbo historics, not the standards...I dont really think the standards are anything like a real '59 as theres no long tenon, also the historics have a lot of human input in them ..they are not mostly machine made like the standards..

out of the ones you tried I would say that generally the early 80's tokai would be the best made guitar,..what model tokai was it ..again that makes a big difference in ''close to 59 /historic specs''
the burny supergrades from the early 80's are as good as most tokai LS50's and 60's I have seen, not as accurate a repro as the LS-80's and above though..although some supergrades sound better than some LS-80's and above ..lol.., I have no experience of a LS-90, I would assume its a new tokai, so I wouldn't have too much experience.. others will know better on that one ..

have a read of the info page on my site and you'll get a good idea of the various differences between the older models..

[/u]

interesting insight villager,

I have no idea what model the 80's love rock was but i would agree that it was probably the best, but only by a subtle margin. Regardless of the construction, they all were excellent guitars. I believe the LS90 is just the updated model number for the LS80 to reflect the increase in price.

As a "newbie" I guess the real question I had a few weeks ago was how far up the scale, whether old or new, tokai or Burny etc do you have to go to equal the tone and feel of a well built GLP standard from recent times.

For me I have found the answer, the entry to mid range Japanese models.

The only unfortunate thing now is I am left wondering what is left to come from Tokai LS150's and above, Earlier LS80's and Burny RLG120's, not to mention the orvilles grecos and navigators.

I think this forum is creating a monster :evil: ... someone attach a health warning quick :)

Seriously though a friend of mine was asked to take his previously highly regarded MIK epiphone out at the weekend after we compared the Burny & LS90 and his response was "dont ask, I played a real guitar during the week and Im never playing that thing again"

firewood anyone?

i currently own a 1988 tokai live rock,with a beautiful flame figure to it,no model or serial though..and was lucky enough to compare it to a few historic gibbo's the past weekend.in every aspect,from build quality,to sound,to feel,the tokai smoked all the overpriced gibsons my a rather large margin..so much so that the store offered to buy mine,and also give me one of the gibsons too.
..obviously,i said no...hee hee.

sorry,typo...meant love rock...duh.

Hi, my friend, Love Rocks live ... so you cannot be wrong!!!

declan - I've sold my Epi LPC and purchased a '85 Tokai and an Edwards - no regrets.

I can say that I've sold a piece of dead wood and I've got instead luthier-masterpieces that brought me back the joy of playing and enjoying to experiment new things like "recording".

Never thought that this would happen in my old days!!! :wink:

Roger

tudor said:
I can say that I've sold a piece of dead wood and I've got instead luthier-masterpieces that brought me back the joy of playing and enjoying to experiment new things like "recording".

Never thought that this would happen in my old days!!! :wink:

Roger

This is the real point, youre absolutely right

Back