ObG Firebird

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Anyone know what the quality is like?
Neck through body (even on custom colors)?
Is the fingerboard fat like a US Gib 'Bird?
Any reason not to buy one?
Thanks.

I own one (get to a picture from this site)
http://www.hickoryshomepage.com/Orville_Owner_page.htm

Not exactly like a Gibson, as they are NOT neck-through-body.
They are a set neck. The ObG has US Gibson pickups.

I've not played a US-made Gibson to compare. I could measure it for you, but, from memory, the width of the fingerboard doesn't seem any wider than, say, a Les Paul standard. Thickness is about the same, too.

The reasons not to buy one: 1) you probably won't get a hardshell case with it (buying used). Finding a case to fit it is hard because of the banjo tuners. 2) The guitar is very unbalanced ... it's head-heavy because of those banjo tuners, which are very large/heavy.

I compensate for #2 by "tieing" my strap up behind the nut, like a lot of guys do with their acoustic guitars. In fact I use a Martin quick connect system, something like this:

p382d.jpg

orvilleowner said:
2) The guitar is very unbalanced ... it's head-heavy because of those banjo tuners, which are very large/heavy.

Just like the Gibson ( well, the one I tried :) )

villager said:
hehe orvilleowner ..talk about unbalanced..ever tried a flying V?

Yeah, I have an old Dean V (with the big split headstock) ... I don't remember it being as unbalanced as this Firebird. I guess I'll have to pull it out of the closet and check it out.

Back