Why aren't we getting the cool guitars in the U.S.???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artpop

Reaction score
Not QUITE a MIJ guitar thread, but as I've been searching for a white or TV Yellow Les Paul SG Jr or Special, I came across this:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/koeido/574452/575726/

OHMYGOD.... the colors... the colors......

How come Gibson doesn't offer any of these in the U.S.? Huh?

:evil:

I love the SG Jr guitars! If I were gonna have one of those colours, I think that the yellow would be the one, though having seen the white LP special on there, I am pretty confident that an SG jr would look smart in white!!

Yep - a white SG Jr. would be what I'm searching for, though a TV Yellow would be nice, too.

I wonder what the yellow in those photos looks like in person? Looks a bit more lemon than TV.....

... if I were you I wouldn't argue about Gibson's decisions and ...

... buy from Japan !!! 8)

Roger

and they make a lot of stuff for the Japanese market as does Fender/USA. `course the players here will anything for MIAs...and they do.

yes the " samurai blue " so named for the World Cup. Sorry...I`m speaking of the `61.

Yeah, I've bought from Japan before for stuff I've wanted. It's just odd that Gibson (and Fender) offer more (and in my opinion cooler) colors and models than they do in the U.S..

I can understand having to get "copy" guitars overseas, as they don't want them to compete with their models on the home market, but why not offer us the options on their own instruments??

Getting back to the SGs, I like the blue, too, but am tempted by the yellow. Only wish I could see it in person.....

artpop said:
I wonder what the yellow in those photos looks like in person? Looks a bit more lemon than TV.....
It does look like a lemon colour now you mention it! Looking at them with fresh eyes today I think that colour is pretty nice looking. You're right though they could look different in the flesh, but now that blue is looking pretty good aswell.. not as keen on the redish one personally though.

It does seem crazy to buy an american guitar from japan, but it also looks pretty tempting too!!

The yellow is called "Corona Yellow" from what I can find. The blue is "Caribbean Blue", the red/coral is "Coral Pink".

Here are more photos from another dealer in Japan:

http://www.mikigakki.com/category/details.php?item_id=4995930118184

They have some colorful basses, too!

Just for the heck of it, I decided to email Gibson to ask if they were planning on selling these models in the U.S.. The reply:

"Thanks for the email. There are no current plans to introduce that model in the USA, but I will pass your request onto my superiors. Thanks

Jon Sutherland
Customer Service
Gibson Guitar Corporation
1-800-4GIBSON"

Maybe if enough folks ask, they will do it.....?

Hate to say it but it reads like an electronic form letter saying "F**k you very much".

They do sell some of the "faded" LP Juniors and Specials here in the states. The finish is rough and the bodies aren't carved. More of a lower end guitar but I think the humbucker models are still equipped with the Gibson 490B and 498T p'ups.

Back