Maya Guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozeshin

Reaction score
Hey all...
Waaaaay back in the '70's I tried and fell in love with a Les Paul Goldtop copy and I think it was a MiJ brand called Maya.
The fretboard inlay was a very elaborate vine that wove it's way along the finger board.
There was certainly some mighty fine MiJ guitars getting around during the classic "lawsuit" era.
I used to borrow a really good Goldtop Ibanez from a friend during the late '70's /early eighties that weighed a ton and played really well.
Also there used to be an Ibanez Les paul replica that had a maple fingerboard with black inlays....I used to think they were pretty ugly but they were pretty popular down here in Oz.
As were Ibanez destroyers,Iceman and L5S and L6S models.
Anyways...if anyone knows of a link for info on Maya guitars of the '70's I'd appreciate it :p

There's some info on Maya at the ibanez collectors forum. A recent post in the replicas is showing a Maya Explorer. Maybe made in the same factory as Ibanez? All i know. Hope this helps.

Definitely check out the Ibanez Collectors World forum. I've got two Mayas, one an acoustic J200 copy and the other a 335 copy that needs some work done to it. Both are extremely well constructed instruments. I've also picked up another Maya acoustic I found in akjunk shop for the princely sum of ?1. The fingerboard's coming off but I couldn't leave it to rot. That's along-term winter project :)

El Maya and Maya are the same as far as I know, I've actually got a late 70's Maya catalogue coming to me via Ebay all the way from Japan. When it comes through, I'll try and take some scans. In the meantime, enjoy the J-200 I have, it sounds superb and is a gorgeous player.

J200.JPG

Latest posts

Back