Dillion?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Hi,
I hear the Dillions are made by Tokai in thier Korean factory.
True or no?
Any good, or no?
Internet searches gives extremes, people love or hate them. Sounds like dealers, and people with unrealistic ideas about what they should get for cheap. If someone has a problem with a particular dealer or company, they shouldn't (IMO) exagerate problems with an instrument on line, however some I am certain do. Also, rave reviews for some guitars, or amps for that matter, seem to be from dealers, and not actual owners.
Hoping people on this forum will be reasonably honest...
I wouldn't want to buy a lousey guitar, but a Tokai, possibly a Dllion, or ? may be in my future...it seems some small compromise would be in order for a savings of $1000 or more over a Gib.
Thanks...

I've just heard Korea, no idea about what particular factory. I imagine it's a big one that does many names.

I had a Dillion Firebird. It was ---Okay. Looked nice , the woodwork was good , the electronics kind of sucked. Can't say I would buy another one.

Whitehall,

If the wood working and finish were OK, did you just replace the electronics?

I do that even in expensive guitars. I only play Burstbuckers, or '57 Classic PUs (the Gib reissues) for humbuckers, and my '57 Vintage USA reissue Strat I loaded with Texas Specials, as the original PUs had that vintage sound but were a bit weak.

Would you not buy another just because you don't like to do mods, or was there an underlying problem you didn't mention?

Curious for myself as I would like a variety of different classic model guitars, ...but for instance, I wouldn't play a Firebird, or a 335 style enough to justify spending big dollars. My staple guitars as a Kalamazoo made LP from '79, and the Strat. Had no problem spending real $ for those. I am less impressed (as likely most on this forum) with the Nashville made instruments these days, unless you buy the limited editions, or custom shops for super huge money.

Finally, I'd just like to apologize if I seemed overly distrusting in my original post on this thread, but experience has proven it's difficult to believe everything on the web.

One of the finest West Coast swing/blues guitarists around, Junior Watson is endorsed by and plays Dillion guitars (see the link below) and note the Dillion reference and link below his picture.

http://www.juniorwatson.com/index.html

If they're good enough for him, they're certainly good enough for me... :D

I also heard Dillion was made by Tokai Korea...I can't remember where I heard it. May have been on Ed Roman's site...in which case I give it zero creedence.

Back