Mexican Strats

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
The other guitarist in the band I'm in has just bought a new Mex 62 reissue, so popped round to have a play last night armed with my Bacchus BST-64V to show him how much better it was :wink:

To my supprise, it actually wasn't that much better, and at half the price the mex certainly held it's own, nice weight, played well and sounded great! I do think the Bacchus had the edge, but there certainly wasn't the gulf between the two I was expecting. The current production mex reissues are very good indeed!!

yeah the mexican reissues I've tried have been quite nice- much better than the bog standard MIMs, which I'm not fussed on. I tried the reissues next to a couple of MIJ tokais a while back, and while I preferred the tokais, they were pretty close.

I think he paid ?350 for a brand new one in Lake Placid blue, that's about half the cost of a new mij, for 80-90% of the quality, very good value, and as you say miles better than the mexican standards, at least the last time I played a mex standard 2-3 years ago they were awful!

I have both 50`s and 60`s Classic player strats, mim and excellent strats by any standard,and even better when judged against cost!

In my humble opinion, the Bacchus 64V has some significant differences. Much nicer neck profile (chunky C) and the pickups have more balls than any Mex strat I've played..... totally different sound. The MIM's sound like any strat... which is fine but totally predictable.

Don't get me wrong... the MIM strats have come light years from where they were and they are very good value for the money (I'm quite partial to my Jimmie Vaughan MIM strat) but I'll never part with my two 64V's.

JohnA said:
I think he paid ?350 for a brand new one in Lake Placid blue, that's about half the cost of a new mij, for 80-90% of the quality, very good value, and as you say miles better than the mexican standards, at least the last time I played a mex standard 2-3 years ago they were awful!

i got my new tokai for just over ?400 :D At current usual prices (I think your mate got a good deal- to be fair, so did I) I think the MIM classics are similar to what I paid, if not even a bit more. But yeah, if you were paying the RRP for an MIJ, they're a lot more the the classics. Stupid strong yen!

And yeah the MIM standards aren't great. I keep seeing people on the various online forums recommend them and I just don't see it. (To be fair a lot of people also recommend the reissues.) The pickups in particular are rubbish, aren't they like ceramic bar magnets or something? :lol: I mean I don't expect boutique handwound pickups on a ?350 guitar, but at the same time ceramic bar magnet single coils smack of artificial handicapping rather than genuine costcutting...

Funnily enough, I didn't really like the baja tele I tried- there was finish all over the frets etc. and I didn't much like it at all.

marcusnieman said:
In my humble opinion, the Bacchus 64V has some significant differences. Much nicer neck profile (chunky C) and the pickups have more balls than any Mex strat I've played..... totally different sound. The MIM's sound like any strat... which is fine but totally predictable.

Totally agree Marcus, it's just I was expecting the Mex Strat to be total rubbish in comparison and I was pleasantly suprised :D

Yep Dave, it's the Yen that's stuffing us all! Think I'm going to start collecting mex vintage :wink:

I could not be happier with my MIM Road Worn, I actually put my trusty MIJ up for sale. It's all the Strat I'll ever need but I'm more of a bucker man anyway.

The classic players are great but I can't help thinking the trem look wrong. Apart from this really biased opinion they are cracking guitars.

Agree about the trem on the CP`s,only thing that spoils them imho,but I can live with it!
Cheers.

JohnA said:
Yep Dave, it's the Yen that's stuffing us all! Think I'm going to start collecting mex vintage :wink:

haha

I don't think it's helping japan either, making its exports more expensive :lol:

Weird enough there seems to be some inconsistency in the weight the Road Worns... one Strat was real light weight while an other one was heavy!

Other than that, nothing wrong with the Mexican reissues... I tried like 20 Strats with a good friend of mine, from the Squier CV series to the Fender USA reissues and there isn't that much difference... much more difference can be found with Les Pauls IMO...

Emiel said:
I tried like 20 Strats with a good friend of mine, from the Squier CV series to the Fender USA reissues and there isn't that much difference... much more difference can be found with Les Pauls IMO...

Exactly

marcusnieman said:
Emiel said:
I tried like 20 Strats with a good friend of mine, from the Squier CV series to the Fender USA reissues and there isn't that much difference... much more difference can be found with Les Pauls IMO...

Exactly

I think it's just generally cheap guitars have never been better.

JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
Emiel said:

Exactly

I think it's just generally cheap guitars have never been better.

Exactly x 2

Totally agree, the core design of the Strat allows for scale production with great results. The labour in southern america and in the far east is getting really skilled when you consider how many guitars they chuck out every day. The difference between high end and low end has never been so minimal.

How long until we see boutique Korean or Chinese guitars in shops? I dare say if they can build at these prices with top materials the end product would be rather appealing.

Japan did it after the replicas era so I guess it's a matter of time.

marcusnieman said:
Forgot about the Road Worn series.... those are very nice playing and sounding guitars. Hat's off....

Totally agree....I love my road worn 50's Strat,the soft V neck with 6105 frets,feel very comfortable in my hands, fantastic guitar for the money I paid for at much less than the cost of a new mexican classic reissue.

Latest posts

Back