can you fade an edwards?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dann

Reaction score
anyone ever yr this?

my JP is a little red I was wondering if the burst would fade if you tanned it long enuff....?

i would think so, might depend on your tanning method though. direct sunlight would probably be the best. does it have poly or nitro finish. if nitro, you might get a bit of 'checking' of the finish.

Hi Big Ace, mate there is absolutely no way i would put a guitar for any length of time in the sun, you run the risk of shrinking the laminate top warping the neck and who knows what else. I'd maybe try something like fluorescent light or some other form of artificial UV light. Sunlight will heat the timber causing distortion and shrinkage, i would avoid this at all cost.... :wink:

Mick

Good advice Mick!!

I think the best way of fading a finish would be to give it a thin coat of matt lacquer, someone did this on a Silverstar and posted some pics on the forum somewhere, it looked great!

hey Mick,
yes true what you say. i was thinking more along the lines of keeping the guitar inside but near a window so the sunlight will hit the guitar, but not so much the direct heat from the sun.

ever seen a guitar in a shopfront window. if it sits there too long it will fade and the finish will yellow alot quicker.

I remember my luthier faded his historic in a sunwindow kindof the same way.....I wasnt sure if it was in direct sunlight or not...this clears things up quite a bit tho....he was concerned that if you fade anything that is photoflamed that the flame itself will fade off too.
I kindof believe him

Latest posts

Back