what year is my tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne damage

Reaction score
Hi I just traded my 67 fender mustang bass in fair condition for a tokai hard puncher in absolutly stunning condition its all black,back of neck,headstock front and back,3 ply pic guard BWB and beautiful gold hardware the decal reads tokai with hardpuncher directly underneath unlike some ive seen, maybe this is a earlier model? the serial # is 114457 and there is a sticker on the back of the neck at the heel with the number 50. Can anybody out there help me with this? did i do a good trade? Wayne[/b]

Wayne, there are many folks on this forum better placed than me to give you a date but it sounds - for starters - like a mid 1980's model. Some pictures would help, especially of the headstock and logo. (the easiest way to post photos - I've just struggled with same - is to post them onto the photobucket website and then embed the related links into your poston here).

When you say "67" Mustang bass, do you mean an original 1967? If so, then I have my doubts about the financial side of your trade. However the key thing is whether you prefer the Tokai :D

regards

Andrew

A genuine 67 Fender, almost any model, should be worth a fair sum of money :eek:

Mike

Hi guys,
first a big hello to ya all from sidha/ germany. I just recognized this forum an d I?m sure you can answer my request.
A few years ago I bought a Tokai Strat, named custom edition.
The sreial numer is 15244 and I would like to know, what was the year of production.
I already made my homework and had a look at the dating site, but I?m not shure that I got it right. Regarding the 5 digit number this model should be produced between 1956 - 1960, is that right?
The color is 3 tone sunburst, the shapings for the pick ups are 2 single coils and 1 Humbucker.
I try to post some pictures, but I don?t know how to attach them to this posting.
please, if anybody knows what date this wonderful guitar was produced, let me know.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
greetings from germany
ully

hi, sorry for this question, but I like to attach/ add a picture to my posting and can not find out how to do it.

can somebody give me an advice?

thx in advance.

ully

This will explain how to load pics. If I was you I would start a new thread about your guitar, or it can get confusing.:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9012

just_tokai said:
Hi guys,
first a big hello to ya all from sidha/ germany. I just recognized this forum an d I?m sure you can answer my request.
A few years ago I bought a Tokai Strat, named custom edition.
The sreial numer is 15244 and I would like to know, what was the year of production.
I already made my homework and had a look at the dating site, but I?m not shure that I got it right. Regarding the 5 digit number this model should be produced between 1956 - 1960, is that right?
The color is 3 tone sunburst, the shapings for the pick ups are 2 single coils and 1 Humbucker.
I try to post some pictures, but I don?t know how to attach them to this posting.
please, if anybody knows what date this wonderful guitar was produced, let me know.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
greetings from germany
ully

Who's thread is this?? Don't piggyback on someone else's question - start your own otherwise no one has a clue as to which guitar the replies are for. :roll:

I did trade a real 67 Mustang Bass for this Tokai BUT! the Mustang was a re-paint (a real no no) a 3/4 scale and basically Fenders low line student model now a 67 strat,tele,ect,ect different story This Tokai is now doubt a pro quality bass id go as far to say its in mint condition and as i stated it reads Tokai with hard puncher underneath different than some ive seen here i will send some pics as soon as i get back from the namm show(ha ha) surfs up my Tokai bros! Wayne Damage from California [/b]

Sure Tokais are good, but the basses don't usually sell for large sums. But a 67 Mustang, even a re-finished one, should be worth a fair bit more, I would have thought. Duck Dunn played a Mustang, so it's not an insignificant model.

I hope you got some money back - not just a straight swap? :-?

Not an expert on Tokai bass guitars by any means, but just like the guitars the models came in different 'grades', PB-50 PB-80 etc, most of them ones you see over here are the low-end models, but a PB-120 (if one exists, as I said I'm no expert) would be worth a lot nearer the value of a '67 Mustang especially one that was a bit the worse for wear!

And definetely be a better bass. Unless the short-scale thing was really what you were after.

Hi, I have a goldstar sound strat in lake placid blue with serial No: 19266. Can anyone tell me for sure the year of this (is it 81)? No one seems to know?! Thanks.

raymie said:
Hi, I have a goldstar sound strat in lake placid blue with serial No: 19266. Can anyone tell me for sure the year of this (is it 81)? No one seems to know?! Thanks.

Same advice as marcusnieman gave to an earlier poster! Don't change this thread or we all get confused! Start your own thread, post pics of the guitar, & someone will help you. If it's a Goldie in LPB, I'll be interested to see it.

Mind you, it would help if you started your research by looking at the Registry, from which you will see that Goldstars didn't start till 1983......

Anyway, let's not get into that on this thread, which is about basses - start a new one.

settebello said:
:eek: Nice confusion here.Seems that some guys doesent know,how to open their own threads. :wink:

Volker
What do call a guy that hangs around with a band? A bass player! Thanks for your help guys, you are so kind. :D

Hey wayne damage,

Just need those pics when you are ready, particulary the headstock showing the logo/script, and the top showing the pickguard and pups and hardware etc....

It will be easier to identify then....

kind regards
Mick

Hi Wayne,

Your bass is around the 1984 -87 build date.
The HardPuncher is a replica of the late50's Precision Bass, with alder body and maple neck. PB-50 was the mid-range model (on par with ST-70) in terms of build quality and i have played with guys who have owned them in the past.
They are well on par with any Fender bass in sound and feel and a 20yr old one would be just the ticket i would think.
I did own a Musicmaster bass from 1970 - a step well below the Mustang bass - and whilst it was fun for a guitar player it did not cut the mustard against a full sized Bass

regards
Peter Mac

Your Tokai Bass looks like one I saw on EBAY out of California somewhere a few months ago - It looked very nice with mint like quality. The lower number sticker would appear to be a lower priced model but the special gold parts and painted headstock would suggest a custom special order - it looks very sweet! I have been researching the catologues and trying to find more examples of Tokai Basses - PLEASE READ EVERYONE WITH A BASS AND POST YOUR PICTURES. It takes time to learn how but we are bass players, we can learn new things! I would suspect that this is likely to be a mid 80's model - I recall the posting pictures I saw ( if this is the same bass) looked like the later mid 80's logo. I have posted a P Bass copy back in December that I was trying to date as well and it had a fancier pickup - no pole - and big Fender style tuners not the smaller ones and brushed black controls - not chrome. This bass is 100 percent original - nothing is tampered with. Wayne - I would suggest - if not already done - check the insides for solder breaks and take a look at the butt end of the neck etc just to see if all is in order - I suspect your bass is very original.

Hope to hear how things develope....THUNDER BASS

Latest posts

Back