less is more!!! especially in Texas

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
jimmy has been thought to be fond of vintage tokais i have heard, but not 100% sure. none the less, these two guys are the perfect example of less notes is more!! and the vintage strat sound is what tokai was after in the beggining. :)

jimmy vaughn,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJz_UNYf6io

anson funderburgh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sxFEAtqwofs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0J9tk8oZ-s

Ah, the two masters of minimalism and taste..... Can never see too much of these guys :p .

Jimmie's 2 main Strats, plus the fact that I was very unimpressed with the Fender (Mexico) Jimmie Vaughan signature Strats, were the main inspiration for these 2 babies - people who hate relic guitars just don't look!

117_1709.jpg

126_2631.jpg

126_2622.jpg

No, they're not Fenders! It should be easy for anyone who has read my earlier posts to work out what they were originally, but they're great guitars. :p

Mike

Rossi said:
Sorry but i would never buy a Mexican Fender guitar

After mr first Columbus LP copy I said I would never buy a Japanese guitar again! Now I have loads of them!

If you look at the quality of Mexican Fenders compared to 5 years ago they have come on heaps! Never say Never :D

BTW Very cool guitars Mike, It's funny I like the relic look, but if I ding one of mine it really upsets me.

Well that's one advantage of taking a relic to a gig or rehearsal - if it gets an extra dent or two, it's not a problem. If I dent my Springy though, it would probably dent it's value too. :p

Mike

my old bandmate got ahold of a jimmy vaughn strat and did a real nice relic job to it.

he gave it to me to set up and mabey add a good steel block, and botique pickups for tone improvement.

it sounded soo good, i gave it back the next day telling him not to do anything too it because it sounded that good! :p

but i have played others that didnt sound that good.. guess theyre all different..

Anson, Delbert McClinton and Jimmie at a benefit for the late Sam Myers (singer of Anson's band - Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets).

FYI....it's spelled Vaughan - not Vaughn. I also own one of his Mexi Strats and I'll put it up against any off the rack standard American Strat, any day. Puts a few MIJ Strats to shame too.....

JimmieAnsonandDelbert.jpg

ochay said:
I like the Relic look too. But their still just Strats :oops:

And, by definition, the most versatile and popular guitar ever made. Well nobody has ever claimed that the ugly old Les Paul was a design classic, have they? :p

Mike

It's interesting that people defend the JLV Strats. I really wanted to like them, and buy one, but the worst feature (for me) was the thick, plasticky finish. There's poly and there's poly, but the JLV Strats seem to have a thick coating of something very artificial. And the pickups were nothing special either. If I had to buy a Fender signature Strat, I'd go for the Robert Cray model, they somehow feel and sound better to me.

As you might have guessed, my two are of Japanese origin, with Seymour Duncan pickups, and I'd happily put the Sunburst one up against a JLV Strat or many of the Custom Shop relics (I own a CS relic Tele). Having a worn-feeling fingerboard, with a thin coating of nitro, does wonders for the feel.

Still, good job we're all different. :p I wonder if Jimmie gets a royalty for each of "his" Strats that are sold?

Mike

stratman323 said:
ochay said:
I like the Relic look too. But their still just Strats :oops:

And, by definition, the most versatile and popular guitar ever made. Well nobody has ever claimed that the ugly old Les Paul was a design classic, have they? :p

Mike

Do you just come on this forum to try and start fights? :wink:

JohnA said:
Do you just come on this forum to try and start fights? :wink:

Who wants to know? :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

I'm only stating facts, John...

Mike

jimmy and anson on stage! what a treat..

marcusnieman, there is a guy from Edgewood that has a great myspace page. you probably know him!!! teebeeferris. great stuff :D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=153191245

kmarccoco said:
jimmy and anson on stage! what a treat..

marcusnieman, there is a guy from Edgewood that has a great myspace page. you probably know him!!! teebeeferris. great stuff :D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=153191245

Yeah, I know TB. Real good stuff on his myspace page.

Anson and the boys are the house band at our new House of Blues here in Dallas. It's Anson's birthday tonite and my wife and I going down to personally deliver our birthday wishes with his wife Rene and the kids.

I've fashioned alot of my playing around Anson's style (less is more). The big question is does Jimmie play like Anson or does Anson play like Jimmie. Either way, it's fantastic and I'll be watching him closely to see if I can cop any new licks or figure out ones that I'm still struggling with.

:lol: I think you asked that before - my vote is that Anson copied Jimmie since Jimmie has been around longer. And Anson played second guitar on one track on the 3rd T.Birds album. But its probably more to do with shared influences, and developing in parallel. Did you hear the Jerry McCain album a few years ago that they both played on?

Please wish Anson Happy Birthday from his fans in London, and ask him to come back to the 100 Club very soon :p It's been years since we saw him...

Mike

i dont know if anson copied jimmy. i think mike is right, they have shared influences. anson told me that his biggest influence, and album he copped a good part of his style from, was BB Kings "My Kind of Blues".

jimmy soaked his playing up from hanging out at Antones in the early days watching, and playing with, all the players antone brought in.

enjoy the show Marcusnieman, tell him "catfish" copeland and richard grigsby from sacramento said happy b day.

u said he is the house band thur-sat right? at the house of blues? i have several weeks off of work and was thinking of flyingdown for a thur and fri show. if you can please give me the address of th e house of blues...thanks......ken

Yeah you can hear that BB is Anson's biggest influence. I've always reckoned that Freddie King is one the biggest influences on Jimmie's lead playing, and Anson has pinched a fair bit of his style too.

I've read that Jimmie started his career by playing the chitlin circuit as Freddie King Jnr. A mainly (or all) black audience was usually rather surprised when a skinny young white kid walked out on stage and played accurate versions of Frddie's hits :eek:

I wish Dallas was closer - how much would a flight cost? :p

Mike

Latest posts

Back