Early Tokai GT of strange history...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JandG

Reaction score
I purchased this Tokai GT some years ago when prices were 1/2 of what they are now, about 4 -5 years ago as a employee built guitar for private use, so therefor no seriel #. Purchased from a trusted to this day 100% seller from Japan. The guitar it self screams quality in playabilty & sonics. I collect MIJ Burny, Tokai, Fernandes, etc..but his one is the big mystery. I think it was a burst before it became GT & I am fairly sure this was done at factory, unless red is a bass color....also..It has what I believe is factory DiMarzio SD's, that I do not believe were pulled untill I did 4-5 years ago, covers have slotted screws allaround, also another strange deal is th braided wire throughout. NO PCB. The big thing that tells me 1980 is the fret markers, they are of material I have only seen on 1980 Tokai's, non of my other MIJ LP's from differant makers are even close. Also no heel cap, NO scarf joint, & seems to be 1 or 2 piece back. The reason for the red under the Gold top is if you look carefully you can see a red thin line next to binding completely around the top, no botch job & completely factory, & extremelly well done.. A real confusing part is the extra screww holes under truss cover, also the use of the round Tone & volume controles, I have seen non marked Tokai LP's from 1980 that don't say Reborn or Love Rock, just say Tokai, & have exact fret marker material & same clean & sharp inlay, no rounded inlay corners.. The tuner pegs are greener than usual & are same color as my Gibson SG Standard, exactly, not the harsh MIK green. Can anyone shed light on this truely nice GT.?? I dream of stripping the gold finish just to see..but I would not dare,, just a dream..neck is much smaller than my 58 Historic. Here are some pic's of the starge Tokai..I am going to go out on a limb & say this was a 1980ish LS-100, that was took home from a employee,, redone in GT at factory & who knows what happened to truss cover..

I thought to add this,, the fret markers are for sure Celluloid, which is strager than heck, Also it makes me wonder about the DiMarzio "Super Distortions, they are of seriouse natural relic..look like they been played 50 years,, not a sand paper gig, but somebody new what they were doing. also the worming of belt rash on back looks almost perfect. I think it was done on purpose though, hard to tell, just what I think, the tuners stick out like a sore thumb, they are not 80's.. Everything else looks 50 years old.Everything, even the finish is whereing allaround the GT finish, with a glint of red starting to show thru. The GT finish is starting to check also...I am wondering about the story I was told, it seems to be a resonably true story, as why in the heck would any GT have Celluloid markers, .. this is also a 9lb max guitar. I have looked for years for a Tokai GT that is close to this just so I would know...None nadda,,not goona happen..also the braided metal shielding & PIO caps..all look factory, when I took the DiMarzio's out , I can tell I was the first to pull them since installed..I have seen & pulled enough LP pickups to know this..So I am starting to think this is a aged or reliced GT with the same story applying, just a differant time frame, Seller did not ever tell me this accurred in the 80's.. he was confused I could tell on the year of it because of the excellent ageing of this & no seriel #. It is on mall wall of LP's directly next to a Gibby Historic & many other MIJ LP's & this thing from 1' away looks 50 years old.. & not the belt sander way...just in a natural way. This could explain the 2 extra screw hole under the truss plate.. it must have had a 3 scre at one time or another..18 degree & exact headstock shape, not like a RLG Burny,, which is small on the top of head stock..I actually have a Tokai built Burny...well as the story goes..but the fret markers are a dead giveaway. I do see that LS-120 did have GT as a color option I think Iread some where, but I amagine it is just the story was told to me...builder probably had a private request for a GT in relic form, & or wanted one for himself,, so he made it happen..The pictures don't do this thing justice whatsover..Best thing is this guitar does anything on the late 60's 70's & earlly 80's rock relm..neck is awsome,, not 58 ish which I love. Very reosnate body, almost as good as my 2000 Historic 58. Sure wish I had a clue as to the real year of manufacture of this thing..

looks a lot like my old 1980 Tokai Goldtop Loverock. No fret-edge binding on this though and those double cream pickups were often found on the ls-60's. Could even be an ls-50 from earlier. It's got the dark back too, which my ls-80 had as well.

So my guess, 1980 tokai ls-60

just my $0.02

Thanks for the responce. 1980 would concure with what seeler told me..No seriel # does make a fun mystery. Did your 1980 have non-acrylic fret marckers also..?

Latest posts

Back