Best early Tokai Les Paul model?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharold38

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear people's opinions about what they consider to be the best Tokai Les Paul copy from the 1970-80's.

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

No, there is an LS150 and very rare LS200. The LS80 upwards are considered the better copies and command the higher prices. The LS50\60 are a lot more readily available, aren't quite as good in comparison and that is reflected in their price. Still very good guitars though.

the reborns/reborn olds and 1980/81 love rocks are all very good from the LS-80 upward..The 150 and 200 reborns/reborn olds and early love rocks are almost impossible to find, so I would suggest that a pre 1982 LS-120 is your best choice..

I have a 1978 Les Paul Reborn LS-60 that is outstanding...guess it`s the only one in the world that is.

sneakyjapan said:
I have a 1978 Les Paul Reborn LS-60 that is outstanding...guess it`s the only one in the world that is.

Nope....I have one too (lovely cherry clownburst plaintop) that I'll never part with. Heavy as a boat anchor but just sublime tone and feel.

Hi guys,

basically ALL the models are very good in their own way.

up to LS80 they are solid maple top a '58 style neck but still with solid heel and 1 piece neck
after LS100 they tend to get closer to the '59 style. As most Les Paul affectionarios prefer the flamed maple tops, these tend to be the preference.

The strange thing is Gibson did make '58 and '59 LP with plain tops and they sing every bit as well as the flamed ones.

SO.... choose the top you like in the style you like and i would recommend the LP Reborn, Reborn old or any of the 80-82 love Rocks as a superior made instrument to anything Gibson produced between 1970 and 1995 [ IMHO ]

regards
Peter Mac

marcusnieman said:
sneakyjapan said:

Nope....I have one too (lovely cherry clownburst plaintop) that I'll never part with. Heavy as a boat anchor but just sublime tone and feel.

I had to open my case and make sure mine was still here `cause you described the one I own...
When it comes to used Tokais in this city, I have to take what I can get because they just don`t come around very often...got real lucky with mine.
DSCN0975.jpg

Peter Mac said:
or any of the 80-82 love Rocks as a superior made instrument to anything Gibson produced between 1970 and 1995

What happened in 1995? Did Gibson quality improve?

So it's only the "Historic" range that are considered to be any good?

Sorry, I don't know my Gibson history nearly as well as I do my Fender history.

OK, thanks. I was a Les Paul virgin till recently, & I still think they're strange beasts... :eek:

Hi all, recently converted Tokai player, new forum member, first post. I've got a question for some of you experts... aside from the obvious pickup variations between them, is there a difference in craftsmanship, wood or hardware between the LS80s, 100s and 120s? Hopefully some of you who own these can answer. Thanks!

Interesting, thanks for the info. So I wonder if they just went through the guitars AFTER production (but before pups and electronics were in place) and delegated the better looking ones to be 120s, good looking ones to be 100s and average-looking to be 80s...

Thanks Villager, you obviously know your stuff. Was there a neck difference between the 80s, 100s and 120s? I've got an ls80 and love the feel of the neck on it, but I've been told it's not the closest Tokai got to the '59 neck.

Latest posts

Back