yet another '80 ST80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi! After giving her a quick rub I took some pictures of my new one, she just arrived from Japan.

Obviously she's been played, but also has been treated with loving care. I am just a bit confused to find a 5-way switch instead of the 3-way. Any ideas if this can be "correct"? Could any of you gurus also spot which type of wood this is?

Thanks and cheers! Rupert
IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0384-1.jpg

IMG_0383-1.jpg

IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0386-1.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

I'm guessing that the "A" on the routs and neck stamps is for Agathis or Alder?

Rupert,

I prefer that one with RW fretboard and the beautiful grain ... this one may sound well but the look is very common - doesn't make me cheer ... 8)

... my personal taste ... :wink:

Roger

Hi Roger - I agree. I'm actually looking for a new neck for this one. It's just really difficult to find V-necks with Rosewood.

Also as you can see on the pics the 3rd and 5th fret got some serious signs of playing. Would be interesting to know what the former player actually performed. Haven't seen this type of usage-signs before.

However, the SOUND! :lol: :lol: :lol: Still have sore fingers from yesterday. Couln't stop playing.

Also the 5-way switch is very useful. Combines 2 pups in position 2 and 4 but leaves 1-3-5 and the pots exactly the same as on my other ST80s and the ST100.

Cheers! Rupert

rgrafend said:
Also as you can see on the pics the 3rd and 5th fret got some serious signs of playing. Would be interesting to know what the former player actually performed. Haven't seen this type of usage-signs before.

They aren't "signs of playing" at all ... I have a similar "wound" on the body of my Tele ... didn't take care when I was moving the guitar from the right to the left side ... it bumped at the sharp edge of a cupboard ...

... and they have identical dimensions and are in exactly the same area of the fret and in the same distance from the edge of the FB ... how could that happen ??? That signs are no marks of finger nails ... 8)

I will post a pic after I've charged the batteries of my camera ...

Roger

thats a beautiful guitar. the marks on the fretboard look like play wear to me. mabey he was a lefty, and just turned it upside down. i know of a few players who did that.

i love the played look.

Hi!

The lefty usage would explain the signs. Interesting. After looking closely I am also fairly sure that the nut has been changed, which could be another indicator.

The "wounds" btw are no problem while playing. Pure optical thingy.

Roger, did you sell your Springy to Japan? :eek: :D :eek:

Cheers! Rupert

kmarccoco said:
the marks on the fretboard look like play wear to me

Hahahaha ... that's a good joke !!! What finger nails must you have to make such chamfers - with the hand that should have just very short ones ... :eek: :eek: :eek:
No offence please ... but if you're able to make such deep holes with your fingers ( while playing ) ... you should beware of daylight ... too dangerous for you ... :lol: :lol:

Serious ... I tried today with my fingers on my RW fretboard - no chance !!

A pic of the dent on my Tele body ... Lacquered Tiger stripe Ash ...

Tele-ding.jpg

Doesn't it look like those on the fb ??

BTW - if it sounds good ... don't worry - just play !!!

Roger

trans, trans, transylvania! I guess you are too young to remembert that one.

where's the icon with the teeth?

:D

Am I sure to meet you? ONLY in Romania!

actually,...

"biting tokai" might get some interest from the PR community.

:p

So; just to make sure: PAF!

Latest posts

Back