ES 335 1978?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.....but accurate?

I didn't think Tokai used the current flower pot badge on the headstock back then. The orange label in the body cavity doesn't look right - never heard of an ES1200 either.

My observations only - I could be completely wrong .......

never seen anything like that...maybe 1989? or 79?

no idea ..thats a new one to me...

I am suspicious....

no fret binding...ES-1200??? no way 120 yes....

inlays and headstock look wrong, as does the binding in the holes...

I would not buy that ..I dont think it is a tokai at all.....

but ...I could be completely and utterly wrong....

or a 90 one...there were some 900 serial number overlaped.The TRC is not for a '79 but a 80's one.Tokai 1200 model never seen by me anytime...Block inlays does not seem right to me in an 70's Tokai....

Having owned a number of Tokai 335's form the early 80's, this one also leaves me a little perplexed. However, there are a number of things that look right and just as many things that don't. The nut looks a little narrow to me. Saying that, none of the guitars I owned had a 43mm nut. They were all just a tad under that golden dimension.

I don't know why someone would go to so much trouble to fake a Tokai. Maybe a LS200 for some strange reason but not one of the semi range.

Beats me. :-?

Hi guys,
It is an interesting guitar to say the least. The ES series of guitar was released in late '79 for the 1980 Model run, however the models were ES-100, ES-150 and ES-200
More likely it is a 1990 ES-120 OS ( old sunburst ) however the fingerboard and fret inlays are totally wrong if used with the "flowerpot" inlay and the colour is wrong for Old Sunburst.
Too many discrepencies for my liking

Peter Mac

hi guys
if i were you i would stay away from this guitar. The chances of it being any Tokai is too remote. :-?
Tokai ES replicas were based on Dot-neck 335's or they were abalone-inlaid super fancy original style.
This guitar looks like a bastardisation of many models of guitar - hideous
at any rate, my advise is leave it alone.

Peter Mac

Back