opinions on this repro springy decal

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
is this close or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-Tokai-Springy-Sound-Guitar-Decal_W0QQitemZ270100576001QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi kmarccoco,

Very nice, if you like lime green writing!
- wonder if they do a cherry pink one too?

limetokaidecal.jpg

My friend got a couple of these "NOS" decals (haha!) off eBay & is understandably not happy that they are fruit-coloured. :(

We'd previously both had versions for repairs from eBay by "The Decal Shop" in Wales, UK, also non-accurate - a very bright silvery gold - each decal arrived in separate 3 pieces, badly cut, & was very hard to apply (melted a bit & the dot on the 'i" in "Tokai" disappeared when my luthier friend Simon Pinder was applying a 'Breezy Sound' decal to my friend Greg's 1980 Breezy that had almost 1/2 its original decal missing - Simon had to 'paint' the letter back in by hand!)
...you can see how the decals look when you get' em here: -
( - please ignore the even more crappy Fender one!)

welsh_decals.jpg

( - sorry, bad scan - the gold in the logo looks far lighter than this in reality, see next pic below)...

- and how they look once applied here (The Decal Shop one is on the maple-necked Springy at the back (actually chrisheyes ST-80 which he swapped with me) - and the genuine Tokai one on the rosewood Springy in the foreground : -

Logos-3a.jpg

As you can see, the Genuine 1980 Tokai decal has a much darker logo - looks like a vintage Fender one from a distance - whereas The Decal Shop one is not very visible from a distance at all as the light gold is way too light & almost the same colour as the maple headstock. :-? ...additionally, the font used for "SPRINGY SOUND" is fractionally too small & not as "bold" as the originals.

Being rather frustrated by this, I contacted decal expert & fellow Tokai-player Terry Fisk (who plays out professionally as "Terry Lee Travis" around 6 nights a week all over UK & Europe), & asked him if he could come up with a really accurate decal for me, as luthier Simon Pinder is helping me restore the very well-played & dinged-up 1980 ST-80 I got from chrisheyes.

(The deep dings in the sunburst body would show after being filled if it's kept sunburst, so it's now going to get a black nitrocellulose finish over the body, like "Blackie" - Simon did a lot of work on the original "Blackie" for Eric Clapton many years ago).

Terry worked on this decal for over 3 weeks to get it absolutely right, as he is very, very pernickity about detail, and has finally come up with an extremely nice-looking & accurate decal : -

Springy_Spaghetti.jpg

The colours, font, type-size and angles (including the size & "outline") are 100% the same as the Tokai originals, and although you can't see it on this image at computer screen resolution, are absolutely razor-sharp. The finished decals are with Simon Pinder at the moment & I will post pics of the finished result as soon as possible when I get "Blackie" back (hopefully by the end of the month).

Chatting with chrisheyes, we feel it's important to try to keep these OFF eBay, out of the grabs of fakers, & ideally only offer them to forum members who can show they've actually got a real Springy that needs a replacement or a 'spare'. Chris has contacted Villager about this, but he's rather busy to administer it (as are Chris & I), so rather hoping a 'senior' forum member - like Gottfried (Togps) perhaps? - would like to take them on.

Failing that, I guess I will have to post Terry's contact details here, as he needs to sell a bunch of these to get recompensed for the time & materials he's invested in producing them.

kmarccoco - if you're interested, send me an e-mail or PM & I'll give you Terry's contact details to get a decal or two for the '79 ST-80 you got from Mark (Villager)

yes I completely agree about keeping them limited to genuine springysound owners...

...I think its a great idea, and nice to see something done properly, there will be a market there, as so many of the decals are damaged with age...

I would be happy to put a note on the website about them, in the info section....

markf

Bill (cybercat), here's a picture of my 1982 Springy, the decal is a little different from your 1980 Springy. The decal from the Decalshop is actually not too bad compared to this one is it? Tokai probably changed the color in 1981 or 1982, the color looks like the one used on the Goldstar's and Breezy's with the new logo from 1984 and onwards.

springy_headst.jpg

My 1984 Goldstar TST60/80 v-neck:

tokaiskalle.jpg

Actually, the Springy decal is closer to the Goldstar in color, the picture of the Springy headstock was taken with a mobile phone that uses a very bright diod as light source instead of a flash.

I also bought a Springy decal some time ago, I only wanted to use the "Oldies but Goldies" part for my AST-40 (the decal is damaged) but it was completely useless, it looked terrible (like a digital picture that had been magnified). I think that decal came from someone in Germany.

Mike

yes it was the lime green one you show bill. :eek:

i asked the seller what color it was before i bought it. he didnt reply, so. i bought it anyway.

also, it is a sticker, not decal.

bummer...live and learn :-?

Latest posts

Back