pickup swops in a reborn ..some musings..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villager

Reaction score
I decided to play around with a few sets of PU's in my reborn 200, to maximise the tone, the stock gibson pat no's were not to my taste, so...

first a set of tom holmes, ..lovely clean, but unpotted, so screamed like a banshee with any gain...so they came out...then in went some seth lovers, followed by classic 57's, followed by old dimarzio paf's,(three of my favourite mass produced PU's.)...again all pretty close and nice..or so I thought at the time.....then i tried my old favourites, some peter florence 59 voodoo's and some greco dry Z's...the guitar came alive with both, but in different ways, the PFV were focused and crisp and clear and very balanced overall...the DRY Z were very close to the PFV in every way except they are creamier and hotter with gain, and have a tighter punchier bass response..both the dry Z and the PFV made the gibsons/seths/dimarzio's sound like very poor relations....!!!.

so she has the voodoo's at the moment, but only because i have no spare DRY Z's and had to pinch a pair from an EGF-1200..

DRY Z / Voodoo's ..joint 1st place then the classic 57's then the dimarzio's and finally the seths...

anyway ...just wanted to share.... 8) :eek:

I'd like to hear those Dry-Zs, too.

I have a Harmonic Design bridge humbucker in my Reborn Old, and it's a good one. Very clear and articulate but can also crunch nicely without piercing the eardrums. Just sold off a bunch of stuff and got a Swart Atomic Space Tone amp* - the HD bridge sounds awesome through it. Actually, LPs and Strats both sound awesome through it.

*www.swartamps.com

I found that Duncan Seths worked well in my old Reborn. They work nice in historics too

Over at the Les Paul Forum they are all raving about the 'Wolftone' Dr. Vintage PAF's

yes i like seths best of all the duncans, but they dont compare in my view to the PFV or the DRYZ..different class...

speaking of the LPF, I have a couple sets of tim white PU which are up there with the best too..

Never tasted the Timbuckers.

I'm gonna be ripping the Burstbuckers out of all my Lesters and putting them up on ebay sometime soon.

Who is that other guy on the Lester forum who makes/winds pups. His handle begins with a 'Z'

I HATE Burstbuckers...nasty harsh things..I honestly think that any of the cheaper handwound PU to be found on ebay ..manauis, js moore, tommys dirty dogs etc will be better than the mass produced stuff...

I am buying a set of each to try out ...the dirty dogs i have already and they are v good PU, not as good as the PFV, but they are only ?70 a pair...theres some bargains out there for sure...

Villager

I've got a Bare Knuckle Mule in the neck and a Leosounds in the bridge of my Love Rock II. Both coil tapped - Very very good combination.

villager said:
some peter florence 59 voodoo's

That's a name I hadn't heard before... just checked his website and some of the Harmony Central reviews. Have you tried the other humbuckers in his range?

adrian

I've heard good things about the Lollar imperial humbuckers too. I tried Duncan Antiquities once. Nice open-sounding honky mids, but something missing overall. Don't know how they compare to the Seths, as I've never tried those.

I have a Lollar Imperial laying around,will try it on a Tokai.I guess it will sound soft because a 6,98k reading.I will put in on neck.....

Latest posts

Back