Tokai Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

Reaction score
I own an 80s 3-tone sunburst TS50 Goldstar, serial # 13309. Recently my pal purchased a brand new Goldstar which looks suspiciously like a China-made imitation. For starters, I thought this model was discontinued in the 80s then his guitar tuners do not say 'Deluxe', the bridge has no stamp that says 'Final Prospects', no sticker at the neck (mine says 50) and no serial # on the back cover plate. The lacquer on the fingerboard is a little thick and the neck resembles an SX but the decal on the headstock says Tokai Goldstar. He insists that it's a genuine Goldstar. Can anyone shed light on this ???

The newer Goldstars were made both in Japan and Korea, there's no text on the tuners or bridge saddles. I have a 2002 japanese Goldstar and there's no serial or "made in japan" sticker on it. The japanese AST-50 model has a 7,25" radius like the vintage Fenders and earlier Springys/Goldstars, the tuners are Kluson type (Gotoh as far as I know) with split posts. The headstock is the slightly modified "pointy" version. The neck paint has a yellowish "vintage" tint. I think the Korean Goldstars has a flatter radius. Here's my surf green 2002 Goldstar (and a few other strats):

strats1.jpg

Mike

I forgot to add the only thing Japanese about the guitar is the sticker at the bottom of the neck that says 'Made In Japan'. Does it make it a Japan-made guitar ? There is also no materials enclosed in Japanese writing etc. Seeing so many Tokai counterfeits these days I am wary of the authenticity especially when Tokai guitars enjoy a good rreputation as a quality guitar manufacturer. That's probably why I always purchase from a reliable source and stick to vintag guitars from ORIGINAL makers :wink: Well, my thumb of rule with a real piece is that if there is no serial # on the guitar and it's such a hassle to trace it's origin I shun it. I'd hate to convince others till I am blue black in the face when it's time to sell or upgrade. Seriously doubt if these new guitars have any vintage value in the future.

Tokai used a "Made in Japan" sticker in the 80's too, here's my 1984 Love Rock, I bought it new:

tls-50_neck_joint_1.jpg

My 2002 strat was bought from a well known German dealer, they got the guitar from Tokai UK so it's definitely a genuine Goldstar. It's easy to tell it's a Tokai, the hw might be different than in the 80's but the overall quality is excellent (except for the pickup switch). The body is made of alder and routed s/s/s like it should be, the neck is great and the paint job is as good as back then, not thick as on many korean/chinese guitars, it's thin and you can see the alder grain in the finish. The tone and sustain is excellent.

Mike

I guess as long as you buy your guitar from a reputable Tokai dealer you are assured of the real McCoy. If my pal's guitar turns out to be 'original' Japanese and not Korean/Chinese make, then Tokai only has themselves to blame for the confusion caused. Perhaps that's the reason why for a reputable guitar maker like Tokai, their reputation suffers and people are buying other brands to avoid being conned. The mind boggles as to the reluctance of putting serial # on their products if they are proud of their products. Otherwise, I am of the view that these guitars are 'seconds' and the quality is below the normal excellence of the guitars made. BTW, cool guitars you got.

Latest posts

Back