1981 LS-80 Gold top that has a REAL tiger stripe flame maple

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I held my Gold top in the sun and could see that it had a flametop under the Gold nitro paint....I got into the pickup cavity and shaved of the paint where the bookend maple joins and carved down ...There was absolutely no thin veneer ..because I shaved all the way to the top of the gold paint ..the paint with the clear coat was a pretty thick layer but there was no thin veneer and the bookend maple that was stripped could easily show the maple flame grains bending down and the mable was about an inch thick....Iam saying this because I have read other posts about the veneer..but that may be the case in some tokai's but it is not in my 1981 LS-80...maybe it's just a mistake...the rose wood is very dark and could be brazillian..it was common in the early eighties...it may be a good quality indian rosewoon(some luthiers claim they actually have good resonance properties because af the large amount of mica in the wood) the neck slant is 18 degrees..there is fret binding -aluminum stop tail...abr bridge...I also shaved inside the pickup cavity to see if it had a long neck tenon..The body definately is routed to accept a long neck tenon ...but is does have it it I could not tell because It was to difficult to tell if the neck wood was going further in the body..I will say that the routing only supported about 3/4 inches of a tenon..and I doubt very seriously that this has all that much to do with better sustain...the light weight quality choice mahogany..maple top and good rosewood neck give this guitar all the sustain it needs ...tenon or not

blind pork chitlin slim said:
Epoch said:
togps said:
marcusnieman said:
Pictures? :eek:

Pictures? :eek:
Sorry dudes I am still busy with some gigs this week (learning new tunes)..I have to take the guitar apart to take the pictures ....probably around Friday ..hang tight they'll be up soon.
Bad news guys ..my wife has our digital camera and is on vacation..I'm meeting up with her and won't be able to get any pics up for about 3 weeks ....sorry..

.....Bad news guys ..my wife has our digital camera and is on vacation..

Hey, blind pork chitlin slim, thats really bad news. This is really not funny.
First, your wife is away and now the camera too.

You can buy a new camera, but ..... :wink:

Hey slim congrats your wife's away and you ... are busy making party all day? :lol:
It happend to my too. Some years ago I was offered 56 Gibson Les Paul in sunburst with some nice flame maple. It was a factory gold top which was refinished due to the nice top. At that time a todays AA grade top was a fault!!
Even today if the top is not flawless (sometimes this was seen shortly before finishing), the luthier decides to finish opaque to hide the problem.

hamerfan said:
It happend to my too. Some years ago I was offered 56 Gibson Les Paul in sunburst with some nice flame maple. It was a factory gold top which was refinished due to the nice top. At that time a todays AA grade top was a fault!!

how do you figure flamed maple was considered a fault back then, when it was used on Jazz boxes and other instruments for quite sometime before making a big splash with solidbodies.

Also keep in mind, in 56 carved top les pauls were either goldtops or black customs. There were no burst finishes.
Also, it wouldnt suprise if that 56 was "re-topped" as is common for to find for Goldtops. Most gold tops didnt have bookmatched tops, and were not symetricaly set on the body.
George Harrisons Les Paul that was refinished red is a good example of this, as it was once a gold top.

Latest posts

Back