1978 Reborn...released some GAS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratmoto

Reaction score
Had to buy it :D

I've had a set of nice vintage (reborn) pickups waiting for a transplant for a while now. Thanks watto :D

1978 LS60.

Came with an Original Tokai HSC. 1 piece back, Brown Sunburst. Frets look like new and the neck is straight as an arrow.

I definitely need to spend some time with this baby. Gotta get some chops.

1978.htm

Ah that's pretty gorgeous looking! I have been hankering for a vintage guitar of my own recently (hopefully later in the year when I have some cash?)

Out of interest, how much did that set you back?

Thanks Snake,

$1450.00 Aussie.

Top dollar perhaps, but its a 9.5 out of 10 and the case came with it.

The pups are pretty hot though, lucky I bought an original set late last year.

It's Karma :D ....I hope :roll:

Peter

You finally got one for yourself,congrats Peter.I'm willing to try one of these yet,all my Tokais are 2.000 and on.....The earliest I was able to try was a '81 LS50 from a friend.Post pics if possible please.

*Edit: Here is the direct link http://www.tokaiguitars.com.au/1978.htm

Wow - Beautiful Guitar!

Had a question about the serial number on your guitar. Is the first number an 8? I could not really tell.

I have a 79 Les Paul Reborn that I'm waiting for. Should be here in a couple days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7408821956&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Peace!

got my 1978 LS60 Les Paul Reborn a couple of years ago now i guess. Had Duncans in it, one replaced tuner and 3 of the pots are pull ups, giving it a variety of tones. Came with the original case but it too has some damage...still for about $200.oo US I`d buy it again. Serial number 8000316. To be a collectors item it` would have to be returned to it`s original state but as a player... it sounds out of this world.

I bought a 1980 Reborn Old LS-50 last year and had it checked by a luthier. He recommended a refret, rather than a dressing, with matching size frets (he also replaned the fretboard to remove a slight hump) and also discovered that the bridge pickup was slowly dying. Now with new frets, a straight neck and a Harmonic Design bridge p/u, it really sings and is good for another 100,000 miles. May get an HD neck bucker at some point in the future but no rush as the bridge sounds really nice.

It was Bruce the luthier's first encounter with Tokais - he said he played it for three hours straight, which he rarely does with repair guitars. I'm sure some of the new Japanese Love Rocks are just as good, but I think some of the early Reborn/Olds have they mojo workin'. I just sold a 1980 LS-60 that sounded very good, but not quite up to the Reborn Old. Just goes to show that guitars vary in sound. I also like the fairly plain brown sunburst top on mine. I wouldn't have put the extra $ into the Reborn Old if it didn't already sound great. Needless to say, it's a keeper. I am also awaiting a Deluxe Tokai case for it from JSD north of the border! 8)

stratmoto said:
Thanks Snake,

$1450.00 Aussie.

Top dollar perhaps, but its a 9.5 out of 10 and the case came with it.

The pups are pretty hot though, lucky I bought an original set late last year.

It's Karma :D ....I hope :roll:

Peter
Good to see another Aussie Tokai lover..!!
I bought my 1985 Love Rock Cherry sunburst with flamed top in 1990 so that makes it 21 years old.
I've left the original zebra PAF's in it...removed the scratch plate and put a set of Grover tuners on it.
When i bought it I had about $900(AUSD) in my pocket and had my heart set on a Gibson but the prices being asked for Gibsons at the time was rediculous.
I picked up the Tokai for $800(AUSD) and have been in love with it from that day on.
It's my main gigging guitar.
It's had a professional setup and fret dress and through my marshall it sings like a dream.
Sorry about the size of the pic guys...
100_0396.JPG

About a 50 having a dead bridge pup,there was something similar(wrong) with a '81 Love Rock from a friend of mine,it was very low output,and a replaced needed.This particular guitar my friend bought from Japan was very light and brown mahogany neck and back(maybe time oxidation making the wood darker).A very fine guitar for sure.It wasn't better to me than my 150 however....

Latest posts

Back