Vintage LS60 Lacquer or Poly?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorMan

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a LS-150 but I'm interested in getting one of these "vintage" Tokais. I checked the specs on the main page but couldn't find if it was lacquer or poly. Laminate or veneer top?

Please share any other specs or experiences with these guitars

Thanks!

I think poliuretane it's the finish on "low" end japanese Love Rocks,it's a cost cut in theory,but as others pointed here,some boutique guitarmaker use this kind of finish.The secret is to be applied barely.Tokai has a trick and let his guitars breath by the end of the neck not applying paint.....I prefer all laquer,this let the guitar resonate better,but as far as this is for high end guitars only with better wood I can't tell much more.I feel it's a wood quality than the finish(if both applied barely) thing....

So by "low-end" do you mean, not good guitar? Maybe I should look for a higher model?

No, I meant LS50 and LS60(LS70&LS80 actually) models which are very good guitars, "mid" level would actual LS120 model........

I have an 80/81 LS60 & it is poly finish

it is a great guitar...the inlays on the neck have a bit more filler than I'd like, and the truss rod cover was installed crooked from the factory; but the playability & feel of the gtr are excellent

I just got some more acetone solvent and I have a '82 LS60 Isa going to test the paint tonight-

I'm pretty sure the 80's LS-60's are poly finished guitars, with a plain maple top.

No veneers, no nitro-cellulose lacquer, just a good, honest to goodness, great playing guitar.

And THAT'S why we buy 'em...

IMO o' course... ;)

My 1980 LS80 is lacquer, and I know that the LS50's were poly, but I'm not sure about the ls60. Try the acetone test in a spot where you can't see it like under the pickup mounting ring. lacquer will melt in acetone or lacquer thinner (or nail polish remover), but poly is impervious to it.

I checked the LS50 '82 I have it's Poly-the acetone didn't do anthing when I touched it to the paint.

my 81 LS80 is laquer

I didnt think it was considering how good the finish was for its age, but it didnt feel like poly either, so out came the acetone...

Back